[Libs-Or] Call for Presenters/Invitation to Attend: Sustainable Scholarship Conference (Pacific University, October 20, 2009)

Gilman, Isaac P. gilmani at pacificu.edu
Wed Aug 12 10:52:06 PDT 2009

Apologies for cross-list duplication if you have already received this notice.

As part of our effort to inform, educate (and hopefully excite!) our faculty at Pacific University - as well as librarians, faculty and administrators at other institutions - we will be hosting a one-day conference this fall dedicated to scholarly communications issues.  The conference is open to all, and registration is free.

Call for Presenters:

If you would be interested in sharing your knowledge/experiences by presenting, or by participating in a panel discussion, etc, we would be thrilled to have you.  A preliminary description of the conference, with suggested topics, is below.  Please contact me (Isaac Gilman) at gilmani at pacificu.edu<mailto:gilmani at pacificu.edu> by August 28 (sooner is fine too!) if you're interested in presenting.  Include a brief summary/abstract (of no more than 300 words) of your presentation for the conference committee to review.  If you are interested in participating in a panel, please outline what topic(s) you are interested in discussing.

Invitation to Attend:

If you don't feel up to presenting, but would like to attend - that would be great, too!  And if you're already a scholarly communications expert...this could be an excellent opportunity for faculty and administrators at your institutions who haven't had an opportunity to take part in a similar conference, or who would like to learn more about scholarly communication issues.

Conference Description:

Sustainable Scholarship: Open Access and Digital Repositories

On Tuesday, October 20, 2009, Pacific University is hosting a one-day conference dedicated to exploring alternative models of scholarly communication - particularly those that can be supported through a digital repository platform.

Conference registration is free and open to anyone in the academic community with an interest in promoting open access initiatives at their own institutions.

Conference sessions will include discussion of (among other topics):

 *   digital repositories as open access publishing platforms
 *   author rights
 *   open educational resources (textbooks, etc)
 *   implications of open access publication for faculty promotion/tenure
 *   innovative uses of digital repositories to support and promote institutional goals

Registration is now open.  To register, please visit the conference site: http://commons.pacificu.edu/sustainableschol/

A complete schedule will be available on the site above by October 1, 2009.  If you would like more information or have questions, please send an email to Isaac Gilman at gilmani at pacificu.edu<mailto:gilmani at pacificu.edu>.

This conference is sponsored by the Berkeley Electronic Press and Pacific University Library.

Isaac Gilman, MLIS | Instruction & Access Services Librarian | Assistant Professor
Pacific University - Health Professions Campus | 222 SE 8th Avenue, Suite 202 | Hillsboro, OR 97123
p: 503.352.7209 | f: 503.352.7230 | gilmani at pacificu.edu<mailto:lkissler at pacificu.edu>

Pacific University is committed to sustainability. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.