[Libs-Or] Free training for library staff -- Readers' Advisory with Nancy Pearl

rrichard at pcc.edu rrichard at pcc.edu
Wed Aug 19 15:09:32 PDT 2009

See below some details about a special FREE
training being offered by the Washington State Library; the session features
Nancy Pearl, a well known librarian, who will present on the topic of readers’
advisory.  All library staff in our area is invited to attend the Vancouver
session (anyone who works in a public, academic, school or special
library).  To register, just go to the registration link included in the
message below.  Please feel free to forward this message to anyone else in
our area that you think might have missed seeing information about this training
session.

Also – here’s a link to
info about Nancy Pearl: http://www.nancypearl.com/index.html

 Donna

Donna Jones
HR Manager
Fort Vancouver Regional
Library
djones at fvrl.org
(360)
699-8803

Opening
Doors:  Opening Books, Providing Effective Reader’s Advisory
Service

Presented by Nancy
Pearl
In
order to effectively match up a reader with just the right book, it's helpful to
understand how to apply the concept of “doorways” in suggesting reading
material.  This session will focus on defining, identifying, and using
doorways in RA situations.  We'll also discuss how mood and motivation
affects whether or not a reader will enjoy a particular book. Finally, Nancy
will be offering tips on how to grow your knowledge of books and how to conquer
“desk paralysis.”

 In
the afternoon, discover booktalking!  Everywhere we go we have the
opportunity to share our love for good books to read. Learn how to booktalk with
your library users, whether it's a presentation for a community group or talking
one on one to an individual in the library stacks.  Or outside the library,
while you're working out at the gym, talking to family members on the phone,
waiting in the grocery line, or having lunch with friends.  In this
workshop we’ll discuss the elements of good booktalks; how to structure a
booktalk; and what’s important to include (and not include).

 9/22/2009:
Vancouver Water Resources Education Center

 This is a 5 hour workshop, morning session is from
9:00 AM-12:00 PM, followed by a lunch break, the afternoon session is from
1:30-3:30 PM.
Register at:  http://www.secstate.wa.gov/library/libraries/training/trainingView.aspx?event=517&audience=state

 Sponsored by the
Washington State Library, A Division of the Office of the Secretary of State
General Information: askalibrarian at secstate.wa.gov
http://www.secstate.wa.gov/library/