[Libs-Or] Call Senators: Jobs bill bucked to Senate, call your senator and urge for library funding

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:42:27 PST 2009

Jobs bill bucked to Senate, call your senator and urge for library
funding<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=4167>
December 17, 2009 ( No
Comments<http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=GRUts-X5mqs.en.&am=!JjYx-7BZhZy5A3Gi0egGIiyZ7URC3i6z3Cvtb6ZrA0jkGg#comments>)

The U.S. House of Representative narrowly passed HR 2847, better known as
the “jobs bill” or the Jobs for Main Street Act, yesterday evening with a
vote of 217-212.

While this legislation does not mention libraries, we hope that the Senate
will add the $650 million for a formula grant to be used for public
libraries. With more and more people relying on their public libraries to
conduct job searches and to submit resumes, it is critical that Congress
includes libraries when passing legislation that is intended to create
jobs.  Please contact your senators as well as your representative and let
them know how important librarians are for getting America back to work!

The Senate is not expected to take up this legislation until after they
return to Washington on January 19.  It is critical that we keep calling
members of the Senate and asking them to include the proposed library
language in the Jobs for Main Street Act.  Additionally, we need to keep
calling our representatives as well – even though the legislation has passed
the House, it will need to go back to the House for approval after the final
version comes back from conference.

For more information, please visit the Legislative Action
Center.<http://capwiz.com/ala/home/>
Jeff Kratz <jkratz at alawash.org>
Assistant Director, OGR

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=4167