[Libs-Or] Information: Congress pushes off PATRIOT Act until next year

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 21:44:31 PST 2009

Congress pushes off PATRIOT Act until next
year<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=4183>
December 18, 2009 ( No
Comments<http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=GRUts-X5mqs.en.&am=!JjYx-7BZhZy5A3Gi0egGIiyZ7URC3i6z3Cvtb6ZrA0jkGg#comments>)

Earlier this week, Congress extended the sunset deadline for the sections of
the USA PATRIOT Act that were set to expire on December 31, 2009 – Section
215, roving wiretaps, and lone wolf – to February 28, 2010.

When Congress resumes in January for the second session of the
111thCongress, the ALA Washington Office will press on in our efforts
to seek
reform to this legislation.

We believe the House Judiciary Committee bill,  the *USA PATRIOT Amendments
Act of 2009* (H.R. 3845) – is stronger than the Senate bill and could put
Congress back on track to achieve comprehensive reform of our nation’s
surveillance laws. Ensuring the provisions of this bill remain in the final
version of the reauthorization legislation as well as fighting for
additional reforms is necessary for protecting the civil liberties of
Americans.
Lynne Bradley <mail://lbradley@alawash.org/>, Director
Office of Government Relations

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=4183