[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacoun] CPSIA Update

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 00:29:13 PST 2009

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Linda Perkins <lperkins at ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Subject: [alacoun] CPSIA Update
To: alacoun at ala.org

 There will be a public meeting at CPSC, requested by AAP, tomorrow 1/22 at
1 p.m. CST. ALA will be represented by Washington Office staff and we'll
report out as soon as we have further information. The specific topic to be
addressed is exemption for books.

There is a timetable posted now on the CPSC Web site, which seems to
indicate there will be a period of several months following 2/10/2009 before
any action would be able to be taken to enforce the law; please visit
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html#publicmeetings (scroll down to
the "Timeline" link).

The ALSC update is available on the ALSC Web site at
http://www.ala.org/alsc; click on "Issues & Advocacy."

Thanks to Diane Foote for this update.

Linda Perkins
ALSC Councilor