[Libs-Or] In Defence of Our Neighbors: CDs available

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Jan 26 16:17:08 PST 2009

Promotional CDs of In Defense of Our Neighbors: The Walt and Milly Woodward Story by Mary Woodward are available from Ari Phillips at arip at gacpc.com.  The CD contains a preview PDF of the entire book, and marketing/media materials.  In Defense of Our Neighbors is a portrait of the lives of interned Japanese Americans, it may tie in with your Oregon Reads events.  Below is a review of the book from School Library Journal.  This is not an endorsement, please review the item according to your library's selection policy to make sure it is appropriate for your collection, library, and community.

SLJ Review: Woodward, Mary. In Defense of Our Neighbors: The Walt and Milly Woodward Story. Fenwick. 2008. 152p. photogs. ISBN 978-0-9749510-7-2. $24.95. HIST
Verdict: This moving portrait of the lives of interned Japanese Americans is essential for all public libraries with holdings on World War II and American immigrant history.
Background: Woodward, a lecturer and columnist, is the daughter of the late Walt and Milly Woodward. Here, she pays exquisite tribute to her parents and the community of Bainbridge Island, WA. The Woodwards owned and operated the local newspaper on Bainbridge Island, a community in Puget Sound, when in 1942 the American government forced Japanese American residents from their homes and relocated them to internment camps as World War II raged in the Pacific. The couple used their newspaper to speak out against this travesty and to keep the community informed of the whereabouts and life events of their interned neighbors and friends during the war. Full of emotional reminisces of those who were interned and a foreword by author David Guterson, this volume tells the story of the Woodwards, truly brave people who believed in the importance of civil liberties. The photographs and documents, many never published before, give readers a sense of the lives of a community torn apart.-Troy Reed, Southeast Regional Lib., Gilbert, AZ
katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528