[Libs-Or] Library programs and music licensing

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 22:52:04 PDT 2009

I have heard about this happening frequently to various resturants that have
groups that perform there.  ASCAP has been known for being really agressive
about this.  I even know of some places that have completely closed because
the threat of the law suits were too much for the owners to deal with.  It
is very similar to what happens with the movie licenses that libraries carry
so that they can show movies to audiences at the library.  It is not very
surprising that they would also approach libraries that frequently have
musical performances.

This is a good article about music licensing:
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-licensing3.htm .

This one addresses some of the problems with the music licensing system:
http://www.woodpecker.com/writing/essays/royalty-politics.html .

This is the kind of action I heard about at least 10 years ago when a
popular resturant in Yachats closed because of the threats from ASCAP,
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003815486_royalty01.html
 .

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM, EVERETT Robert <
reverett at ci.springfield.or.us> wrote:

>  Our City Attorney’s office has been approached by a music licensing firm
> (BMI) claiming that the Library (City) needs to pay a performance fee for
> any musical programs offered by the Library.  Have any other libraries out
> there dealt with this claim and, if so, how did you resolve it.  Thanks in
> advance for any sage advice you have to offer.
>

> Rob Everett
>
> Springfield Public Library (541) 726-3756

Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District
P.O. Box 2027
Newport, OR  97365