[Libs-Or] Public Internet Browsers

Daniel Peterson dcpcreations at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 21:51:42 PDT 2009

Thanks to the 22 libraries who responded to my survey about which web
browsers you use in your library. I was asking to determine whether
IE6 is used often enough to warrant supporting it in a new software
product.

I'll send viewing access to the Google Doc to those who requested it.

Number of libraries reporting: 22
Number of public libraries reporting: 16
Number of academic libraries reporting: 6

Public Internet computers: # reporting
1-10: 5
11-20: 9
21-50: 2
51+: 6

Number offering:
IE6: 5
IE7: 13
IE8: 4
FF2: 1
FF3: 11
Safari 4: 1
Opera 9.6: 1

Default Browser:
IE6: 4
IE7: 9
IE8: 1
FF2: 0
FF3: 3

Selected comments:
-All of our public terminals run on Ubuntu Linux
-Librarians would prefer Firefox 3.x, but the City IT folks say no.
-We also use Public Web Browser (by TeamSoftwareSolutions) for
security and interface customization on research workstations and
OPACs. PWB requires use of Internet Explorer.

Thanks again!
Daniel

--
Daniel Peterson