[Libs-Or] Health Information workshops

Roberta Richards rrichard at pcc.edu
Thu Jul 30 13:45:41 PDT 2009

Hone Your Health Information Skills!

Morning session (9:00 a.m. to noon): Will Duct Tape Cure My Warts? Examining
Complementary and Alternative Medicine
( Lunch on your own)
Afternoon session: (1:30 - 4:30 p.m.): Public Health Information on the Web

Thursday, Sept. 10, 2009
Portland Community College, Cascade Campus
TEB (Technology Education Building), Room 226
705 N. Killingsworth Street
Portland, OR 97217
For directions and parking information, see
http://www.pcc.edu/about/locations/cascade/ .

Workshops Description:
Morning session (9:00 a.m. to noon): Will Duct Tape Cure My Warts? Examining
Complementary and Alternative Medicine

The goal of this class is to increase understanding of Complementary and
Alternative Medicine (CAM). Students will learn the history of CAM and its
impact on medical practices. They will learn how CAM is used, how to avoid
"bad science" and how to look up evidence of the effectiveness of CAM
therapies. Class includes lecture, discussion, and hands-on training.

By the end of the session participants will:

*	Have knowledge of the definition and types of Complementary and
Alternative Medicine (CAM).
*	Have greater knowledge of the history of CAM and it's impact on
medical practice.
*	Have greater understanding of usage of CAM.
*	Increase confidence in evaluating health websites.
*	Increase skills in avoiding "bad science" found on the Internet or
in
the news.
*	Become more proficient in searching for evidence of the
effectiveness
of CAM.

Afternoon session (1:30 - 4:30 p.m.): Public Health Information on the Web

The field of public health encompasses a wide array of disciplines
including health education, epidemiology and nursing. Digital literacy and
the effective utilization of online information are among the core public
health informatics competencies for the 21st century. This hands-on class
will highlight web resources tailored to the public health workforce.

By the end of the session participants will be able to:

*	Discuss the role of information in the public health environment
*	Identify resources to support health education and promotional
programs and activities
*	Retrieve information in support of evidence-based public health
*	Obtain data sets and statistics relevant to public health on a
state, local and national level
*	Identify resources available to stay informed of developments
related to public health

Presenters:

Gail Kouame: Hi there! I am the Consumer Health Coordinator for the National
Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Northwest Region (NN/LM PNR). Our
office, located at the University of Washington in Seattle, represents the
National Library of Medicine to five states: Alaska, Idaho, Oregon,Montana,
and Washington. My niche is working with other information professionals who
are interested in serving the general public, especially surrounding issues
of access to quality health information.

I received my MLIS degree from the University of Washington in 1999.
Prior to becoming a librarian, I worked as a social worker in long-term care
(nursing homes). In addition to my work for NN/LM, I occasionally work as a
substitute reference librarian for the Pierce County Library System in
Washington state.

When not working with health information intermediaries, I enjoy
spending time with my family and friends, participating in church
activities, running, working out at the local gym, and taking part in a book
club.

Alison Aldrich: Hello! I am the Technology Outreach Coordinator for the
National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Northwest Region (NN/LM
PNR). My job is to stay on top of emerging technologies and to assist
librarians in putting those technologies to use. Outreach to the public
health workforce is another important part of what I do.

Prior to moving to Seattle a year and a half ago, I worked as a health
sciences reference and web services librarian in Ohio, my home state. I
received a Master of Science in Information degree from the University of
Michigan in 2003 and a Master of Public Health degree from Wright State
University in 2006.

Outside of work, I enjoy exploring the beautiful Pacific Northwest,
spending too much time on the computer, reading, and baking.

Cost:
One session : $25.00
Both sessions: $45.00

Registration: