[Libs-Or] Oregon Historical Society Research Library closure

Hinken, Susan hinken at up.edu
Wed Mar 11 09:43:54 PDT 2009

The Oregon Historical Society Research Library closed to the public on
February 27.  As Jim noted below, this is a terrible loss not only to
the library community but the entire state.  It's my understanding that
under current plans it will reopen in the near future to offer
extraordinarily limited service supported by a skeleton staff, primarily
providing access to and marketing reproductions of its photo collections
as part of an e-commerce strategy.

The Northwest History Network is organizing an effort to seek a
sustainable solution to the virtual closure of the Library.  As part of
their effort they are circulating an online petition to demonstrate
public support for the Library.  Below is a link to a resolution they
drafted and the petition. Please feel free to add your name and forward
the link to colleagues.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Save-the-OHSRL-and-staff

Best,

Susan

Susan E. Hinken

Head, Technical Services and Collection Development

University of Portland, W. W. Clark Memorial Library

hinken at up.edu

503-943-7419; 503-943-7491 (fax)