[Libs-Or] OCLC Review Board on WorldCat Records Policy Survey

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Mon Mar 30 11:01:59 PDT 2009

Dear Colleagues: I have been asked to share this message with library staff
in Oregon.  My apologies if you have already received it. If you would like
to comment on the proposed OCLC policy for use and transfer of WorldCat
records, please read on. The deadline for responses is April 8th. --> Jim

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

March 26, 2009

Dear Colleague:

As chair of the OCLC Review Board of Shared Data Creation and Stewardship, I
invite you to participate in a Web-based survey among librarians and other
interested constituents. The primary goal of this survey is to gather input
from both OCLC members and non-members about a proposed OCLC policy, Policy
for Use and Transfer of WorldCat® Records.

The Review Board will consider the results of this survey in its
recommendations to OCLC.

Please review the existing guidelines and proposed policy if you have not
already done so:

·   Guidelines:
http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/records/guidelines/defaul
t.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/records/guidelines/defau
lt.htm>
·   Proposed Policy:
http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/recordusepolicy.pdf
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/recordusepolicy.pdf>

The OCLC Review Board is an independent committee convened by the OCLC Board
of Trustees and the OCLC Members Council. If you wish to find out more about
the Review Board, please visit these links:

·   OCLC Review Board:
http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/board/default.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/board/default.htm>
·   Press release - formation of Review Board:
http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/20092.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/20092.htm>
·   Press release - Review Board members:
http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/200910.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/200910.htm>

The survey is available online at the following site, where you will find
specific instructions on completing the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=c0hILWPafv97EDbNiRXXjg_3d_3d

I invite you to complete this survey yourself or forward it to a colleague
with an interest in this issue. Your opinions and comments are vital to our
evaluation, regardless of your current level of usage of OCLC services or
your relationship to OCLC.

Please complete the questionnaire online by April 8, 2009. To protect the
confidentiality of your responses, all data will be collected, tabulated,
and analyzed by Linray, an independent market research consultant. We will
receive data in aggregate form only; your answers will not be associated in
any way with you or your organization.

If you have questions about the content of the survey, please send an e-mail
to reviewboard at oclc.org. As an alternative to the survey, we welcome your
feedback by sending an e-mail to reviewboard at oclc.org or posting comments at
http://community.oclc.org/reviewboard/. Please feel free to provide input in
the language of your choice.

Thank you for your participation in this survey.

Sincerely,

Jennifer A. Younger
Chair, OCLC Review Board of Shared Data Creation and Stewardship
Director, Hesburgh Libraries
University of Notre Dame

------ End of Forwarded Message