[Libs-Or] Fwd: URGENT! LSTA in danger! Call NOW to protect library funding!

Peyton Stafford pstafford at readhowyouwant.com
Wed May 13 16:45:18 PDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Kristin Murphy, American Library Association" <kmurphy at alawash.org>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:59:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: URGENT! LSTA in danger! Call NOW to protect library funding!
To: Peyton Stafford <pstafford at readhowyouwant.com>

	URGENT!!! DEADLINE TOMORROW TO PROTECT LSTA FUNDING!!!
	Call your Senators now!!!

	Take Action! Visit this page:
	http://capwiz.com/ala/utr/1/NQEYKMQWIB/KOCNKMQWQT/3338345441]

	Please contact your Senators and ask them to sign the "Dear
Colleague" letter being circulated by Senators Jack Reed (D-RI)
and Olympia Snowe (R-ME) in support of funding for the Library Services
and Technology Act (LSTA) and the Improving Literacy Through School
Libraries Program.
The deadline has been extended to 10am on May 14, 2009!!!!!!!

This is a tough budget year. After passing the stimulus package, only a
select few programs will receive an increase in FY 2010. LSTA and the
Improving Literacy Through School Libraries Program are in serious
danger of receiving level funding, or possibly even a cuts, if we don't
have 60 signatures on the letter. Please contact your Senator NOW!

The letter is addressed to the Senate Labor, Health and Human Services
and Education Appropriation Subcommittee and requests that the Senate
include $300 million for the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
and $100 million for the Improving Literary Through School Libraries
program for FY 2010.  It has come to our attention that Senate offices
have been told this request is considered an earmark. We have been
assured by Appropriations Committee staff this is not the case.

Please CALL your Senators and let them know that this letter is an
absolute priority.  Click on the "take action" link in the
upper left hand corner and enter your zip code.  It will provide you
with both talking points and the contact information for your elected
official.  When you convince your Senators to sign onto the Dear
Colleague, you must ask him or her to call Andrew Odgren with Senator
Reed at 202-224-4642 or Mathew Hussey with Senator Snowe at
202-224-5344.

The following Senators have signed onto this letter.  If your Senator
is not on this list, but has committed to signing the Dear Colleague,
please call them IMMEDIATELY:
Reed
Snowe
Kohl
Lautenberg
Cardin
Gillibrand
Lieberman
Wyden
Boxer
Lincoln
Kennedy
Menendez
Levin
Whitehouse
Bingaman
Sanders
Schumer
Rockefeller
Conrad
Johnson
Burris
Tester
Casey
Dodd
Baucus
Burr
Leahy
Bunning
Merkley
Brown

---
If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please visit
http://capwiz.com/ala/lmx/u/?jobid=124593769&queueid=3338345441.

--
Sent from my mobile device