[Libs-Or] CWAM-BCR Partnership Receives IMLS Connecting to Collections Grant

Brandie Baumann bbaumann at BCR.ORG
Wed May 20 10:32:05 PDT 2009

The following is a text-only press release from BCR. An HTML version can be viewed on BCR's website at http://www.bcr.org/about/newsreleases/index.html.

Please excuse any cross-postings.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:
Brandie Baumann, communications coordinator 800.397.1552; bcrpress at bcr.org

Colorado-Wyoming Association of Museums/BCR Partnership Awarded IMLS Connecting to Collections Grant

AURORA, Colo., May 20, 2009 - The Colorado-Wyoming Association of Museums (CWAM), in partnership with BCR, the Society of Rocky Mountain Archivists, the Colorado State Library and the State Historical Society of Colorado, have received a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) to survey and create workshops to address the most urgent collections needs as identified by more than 1,200 library and cultural heritage institutions in Colorado.

"This IMLS Connecting to Collections grant will allow Colorado libraries and cultural heritage institutions to increase their understanding of the current state of our collections, develop new skills through workshops and build a culture of preservation among our institutions and communities," commented Liz Bishoff, Director of Digital and Preservation Services.  "BCR is pleased to be working with this broad array of partners to make this happen."

The $40,000 IMLS grant will support a statewide online survey followed by 12 two-hour on-site surveys.  Based on the survey results, workshops are planned at professional conferences addressing the most urgent collection care and preservation needs.

"CWAM's partnership with BCR allows us to reach out to the museum, library and archival community to undertake this important initiative.  Alone we couldn't have met the goals of IMLS," noted Grant Project Manager and CWAM board member, Laura Douglas.

Connecting to Collections: Statewide Planning Grants are used to create conservation plans for collections held in libraries, museums and archives. The Statewide Planning Grants are an important component of the IMLS initiative, Connecting to Collections: A Call to Action, a multi-year, multi-faceted national plan to raise public awareness and inspire action on collections care.  "I applaud these grantees as they take action to combat the crises in collections care that threaten to rob our heritage," said Dr. Anne-Imelda M. Radice, Director, Institute of Museum and Library Services.

About BCR
BCR brings libraries together for greater success by expanding their knowledge, reach and power. They offer a broad range of solutions and their hands-on, personal attention to each member enables them to deliver effective and timely solutions that help libraries keep pace with new developments in technology and services. BCR is the nation's oldest and most established multistate library cooperative. Since 1935, the BCR team has helped libraries learn new skills, reach patrons, increase productivity and save money. BCR (Bibliographical Center for Research) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit headquartered in Aurora, Colorado. For more information, visit www.BCR.org or email info at BCR.org.

About CWAM
Colorado-Wyoming Association of Museums (CWAM) exists to unite and serve museums in our two states. Member institutions include art museums, history museums, natural history museums and historical sites. For more information about CWAM's member services, visit us at http://www.coloradomuseums.org.

About The Institute of Museum and Library Services
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation's 122,000 libraries and 17,500 museums. The Institute's mission is to create strong libraries and museums that connect people to information and ideas. The Institute works at the national level and in coordination with state and local organizations to sustain heritage, culture, and knowledge; enhance learning and innovation; and support professional development. To learn more about the Institute, please visit www.imls.gov.

Brandie Baumann
Communications Coordinator
BCR
14394 E. Evans Ave.