[Libs-Or] Poetry 150 list now online / let me add one thing, please

Alan Cordle, PCC Library acordle at pcc.edu
Fri Oct 2 09:58:06 PDT 2009

Mr. Biespiel's column in the Oregonian announcing this list, featured a poem
by my wife, Kathleen Halme.  (I'm a proud librarian!)  Her most recent book
was a finalist for the Oregon Book Award.  Here's the article:
http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2009/09/poetry_150_poetry_books_honor.html

On Oregonlive, it's attributed to someone else at the Oregonian, but
Biespiel wrote it.  And here's Kathleen's site: http://kathleenhalme.com/

Thanks!

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Katie Anderson <
anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us> wrote:
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> Contact:
>
> Katie Andersen                        Caitlin
> Dwyer                           Sandra Williams
>
> Oregon State Library                Poetry Northwest
> Mountain Writers Series
>
> katie.anderson at state.or.us       Caitlin at poetrynw.org
> pdxmws at aol.com
>

> FROM WAGONS TO WORDSTOCK:
>
> 150 YEARS OF OREGON POETRY
>

>             Portland, Oregon – September 2009:  In celebration of Oregon’s
> Sesquicentennial Anniversary, esteemed literary journal Poetry Northwest
and
> the Oregon State Library have released a list of 150 outstanding poetry
> books – one for each year of our statehood.  These books range in style
and
> subject matter, and poets both well-beloved and newly emerging are
> represented, from William Stafford to Michael McGriff.  Each nominee has a
> connection to Oregon, whether the poet grew up in Madras or writes about
the
> rain.  The list will be published online as a service to libraries,
schools,
> and citizens.  Oregonians can access it online at Poetry Northwest
> (www.poetrynw.org).
>
> Poets from the list will honor the Sesquicentennial with readings at the
> 2009 Wordstock, the annual literary festival in Portland, on October 10
and
> 11, 2009, on the Mountain Writers Stage.  The Mountain Writers Series
> sponsors readings, workshops, and seminars with local as well as national
> and international writers, and serves as a hub in the Oregon poetry
> community.  Among the Wordstock readers will be Lex Runciman, Donna
> Henderson, Carlos Reyes, Mary Szybist, Matthew Dickman, Jessica Lamb, and
> Maxine Scates.  A full schedule of Wordstock readings, including the
Poetry
> 150 List, can be found at www.wordstockfestival.com.
>
> To create the list, Jim Scheppke, State Librarian, and David Biespiel,
> editor of Poetry Northwest, solicited nominations from Oregon authors, as
> well as from the general public.  The response was overwhelming.
Oregonians
> wrote in large numbers with lists of their favorite books, and their
> nominations created a diverse list of Oregon’s best poetry.  The State
> Library had previously released the Oregon 150 Booklist, which included
> works in children’s literature, fiction, and nonfiction, as well as
poetry.
> Mr. Biespiel recognized that poetry had a strong community in Oregon and
> merited its own list, and so Poetry Northwest spearheaded the
collaborative
> effort.
>
>             While the list cannot possibly include every poetry book
> published in or about our state, it provides a foundation for reading and
> valuable resource for Oregonians.  Because citizens and readers made the
> nominations, the list is unique from scholarly anthologies.  Its creators
> believe that public engagement has shown the importance of poetry in the
> lives of citizens.  According to Mr. Biespiel, the community has come
> together in support of the state and of literature.  The result, he says,
is
> “a spectacular civic achievement.”
>

> Poetry Northwest: 4232 SE Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland  97215.
503-236-0615
> poetrynw.org
>
> The Oregon State Library: 250 Winter St. NE, Salem  97301-3950.
503-378-4243