[Libs-Or] President names October 2009 National Information Literacy Awareness Month

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 23:25:59 PDT 2009

President names October 2009 National Information Literacy Awareness Month
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3843> October 02nd, 2009 |
Category: Technology, the Internet, and
Telecommunications<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=14>

Contact: Jenni Terry <jterry at alawash.org>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The American Library Association (ALA) joins President Obama in highlighting
the importance of ensuring all Americans have the skills necessary to
effectively navigate the Information Age.

Yesterday, the president issued a
statement<http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-National-Information-Literacy-Awareness-Month/>proclaiming
October 2009 as National Information Literacy Awareness Month
and calling “upon the people of the United States to recognize the important
role information plays in our daily lives, and appreciate the need for a
greater understanding of its impact.”

The president’s statement also makes the key point that “though we may know
how to find the information we need, we must also know how to evaluate it.”

“In libraries across the country, librarians are helping the public achieve
this goal,” ALA President Camila Alire said. “During this month of
awareness, ALA encourages more Americans to visit their local libraries to
take full advantage of the services they provide to help the public develop
strong information literacy skills.”

Alire also said robust broadband is the critical underlying infrastructure
needed to effectively navigate the Information Age. ALA commends the
president on the $7.2 billion for broadband included in the stimulus and
specific inclusion of libraries (public computer centers) as key hubs for
information literacy.

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3843

--
Diedre Conkling