[Libs-Or] USA Patriot Act Sunset Extension Act to reform sections of security bill set to expire this year

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 18:01:32 PDT 2009

 USA Patriot Act Sunset Extension Act to reform sections of security bill
set to expire this year
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3698> September
22nd, 2009 | Category: Civil Liberties, Intellectual Freedom, and
Privacy<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=10>,
OGR <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=17>

Contact: Jenni Terry
<http://mail.google.com/mail/jterry@alawash.org>Press Officer
ALA Washington Office
(202) 628-8410

For Immediate Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The USA PATRIOT Act Sunset Extension Act of 2009
introduced into the Senate today by Sens. Patrick Leahy (VT-D), Benjamin
Cardin (MD-D) and Ted Kaufman (DE-D) would restore a balance between our
nation’s surveillance laws and our civil liberties.

The bill proposes reforms to Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT ACT, commonly
referred to as the “library provision,” which the American Library
Association (ALA) has long sought to amend.  It raises the legal standards
to obtain a Section 215 order by requiring the government to show
“relevance” to an authorized investigation. Additionally, the bill calls for
judicial review of national security letters (NSL) nondisclosure orders as
well as increased public reporting on NSLs and the Foreign Intelligence
Surveillance Act (FISA).

“We welcome the opportunity to have a full and public debate on how best to
protect our civil liberties while also assuring that law enforcement has the
tools it needs to fight terrorism,” said ALA President Camila Alire. “The
momentum toward reform is building with two strong Senate bills before the
American public. The ALA looks forward to engaging in this public debate and
continuing our mission to ensure patron privacy and other civil liberties
are protected.”

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/

--
Diedre Conkling