[Libs-Or] reflections on 7 years of statewide virtual reference

TUCKER-RAYMOND Caleb calebt at multcolib.org
Fri Apr 16 12:08:18 PDT 2010

Hello,

Today mark's L-net's 7th anniversary. Woo!

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone for making it all possible.
If you've linked to our website (www.oregonlibraries.net), told a patron
about the service, criticized the program, or ever asked or answered a
question on L-net, we couldn't have done it without you.

L-net has answered over 118,000 questions since 2003, and demand grows
every year. This year we expect to answer around 35,000 questions by
live chat and e-mail.

Some things we've learned that I hope you won't mind me sharing are:

 - Patrons appreciate being able to reach the library in person,
   by telephone, by e-mail, by live chat, by text messaging, or
   any way they will choose to communicate in the future.

 - The typical L-net patron is in middle school, but this doesn't
   mean that virtual reference is only for kids. Many libraries of
   all types are seeing a lot of interest in chat and text-messaging
   reference from their local communities. The L-net Local program
   (www.oregonlibraries.net/local) lets you use L-net's software
   to reach your community (for free), and there are other low-cost
   options as well.

 - Collaboration really does work. Library staff can answer most
   patrons' questions even when those patrons are users of other
   libraries.

 - Learning new modes of communication has been challenging, but
   Oregon libraries were up for it. There will be lots of new
   challenges in the future and I have every confidence that we,
   as a community of library professionals, are well prepared
   to meet them.

Again, thank you.

Caleb Tucker-Raymond

Oregon Statewide Reference Service Coordinator
Multnomah County Library
(503) 988-5438
calebt at multcolib.org
AIM/Y!: calebMCL