[Libs-Or] new library science title available for ILL from the Oregon State Library

Ann Reed ann.reed at state.or.us
Thu Aug 26 08:25:57 PDT 2010

The following new titles are available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library. If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos).  Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.

[book1.jpg]Burkhardt, Joanna and Mary C. MacDonald.  Teaching Information Literacy: 50 Standards-based Exercises for College Students.  2nd Ed.  Chicago: ALA, 2010.   ISBN 978-0-8389-1053-5   028.70711 Birkh 2nd ed.

>From high schools and colleges to technical and graduate schools, research involves making sense of information: learning the basics of planning, winnowing, and evaluating the quality of sources. As information proliferates, it's tempting to use the handiest tool rather than working to identify the best one. But there's a better way! Updated for today's ever-expanding world of electronic information, Teaching Information Literacy: 50 Standards-Based Exercises for College Students, Second Edition is the best single resource for fundamental information literacy instruction. Covering the basics of planning, collecting, and evaluating, the exercises in this book . Address one of more of the ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.Promote conceptual and applied skills via active learning, problem-based learning, and resource-based learning.Are ready for use by reference and instruction librarians at colleges and community colleges, as well as others responsible for teaching students how to conduct research.These 50 lessons can be used as a full semester course or as a single focused seminar or workshop, and show how to engage with electronic and print information resources alike.

For more information, check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) Discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

This collection is funded with LSTA funds administered by the Oregon State Library.

Ann Reed, Federal Programs Coordinator
Library Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St.