[Libs-Or] FW: December News from TechSoup for Libraries

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Wed Dec 1 14:31:30 PST 2010

I'm forwarding the TechSoup for Libraries newsletter with information about training opportunities and discounted products.
MK

[Image removed by sender.]

Welcome to the December TechSoup for Libraries<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=i2KrwBGcyr-lp9xewSGZ_w..> newsletter! This month we have a TechSoup Product Spotlight, news about how libraries are saving time and money with Virtual Machines and Thin Clients, details about our grant series, upcoming webinars, a Library Spotlight, and a new survey. You received this email because you participated in a webinar, contributed content, ordered products, or were interested in resources from TechSoup.

TechSoup Product Spotlight: Windows MultiPoint Server 2010<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=0FKMfpt_9NzeDF_kFQYsEQ..>

There's a new Microsoft product available here at TechSoup that is useful for libraries especially if you have a computer lab or multi-user computing environment. Windows MultiPoint Server allows multiple users to simultaneously share one computer, with each user running an independent Windows 7-like desktop environment. You can create unlimited customized accounts with personalized files and settings, save energy, simplify maintenance, and lower expenses. It is easier to manage multiple stations and you only need to install software on the host computer.

[Image removed by sender. computers]Multiple Windows environments can be powered by a single host computer running Windows MultiPoint Server. Each user just needs a monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected to a station hub, which connects to the host computer through USB cables. There are more setup options which you can read about in our blog post<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=XH7g4bhTAE4kSwLPAAooAg..> that covers deploying and implementing MultiPoint Server.

Carlos wrote more about the potential benefits<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=bhqigMBFPWekYShVtxn6sg..> to using Windows MultiPoint Server on our blog. The Windows MultiPoint Server products available through TechSoup.org include:

  *   Windows MultiPoint Server 2010<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=w8cdcotLBrRHQX4uWQxuHg..> (admin fee of $28)
  *   Windows MultiPoint Server CAL Pack for One Station<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=FzQrt6NGFufYEmlirrt7Hg..> (admin fee of $4)
  *   Windows MultiPoint Server Device CAL<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=jhPwW8t4PdFhEiLLVzjpOg..> (admin fee of $3)

Through TechSoup's donation program<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=U6vfHaYR7DpCai-V6oaE2g..>, you can save 80-96% on brand-new software donated by top companies, including Microsoft donated software<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=BOAbFU64P0hN9SL7W92jhQ..> and refurbished computers<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=WoCO26TddQJisZnOAJ8Xrg..>. Products are available to all public libraries that are listed in the IMLS database<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=eMDIaVWvrH6pBXWtcjI3CA..> and/or have a valid 501(c)(3) nonprofit status and to nonprofits with a 501(c)(3) designation.

Real Savings with Virtual Machines and Thin Clients

Is being thin one of your IT resolutions for the New Year? The La Conner Regional Library<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=EUpzrH7qcAgOOqvi36HtYg..> in Washington recently moved to thin clients and Joy Neal was kind enough to share their experience on our blog. Read<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=ZXTzag8eXrDZXHlV3eT6DA..> how her small library saved time, money, and space by implementing this technology. It reminded us of the Johnson County Library<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=Mib1hqLsIx-xT8e35VorGw..>'s instant big savings when they used VMWare<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=DwOQWRF-ZFkwdzT5QFz8MA..> to move from 70 servers to 20, saving server costs and energy. If you find your technology plans include thin clients, no clients (using Windows MultiPoint Server<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=7kHAgBSz54ipt3j2hdIZkw..>), or other virtualization, make sure you let us know<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=7SFctsxHlGlVHluobYBxzA..>, we'd love to share your experience with other libraries.

TechSoup Grant Series

Check out our blog for our new grant series, Successful Grants in One Hour a Week<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=F5iRCS1tRorp3DPaF1p-yA..>. Weekly blog posts outline easy steps so you'll understand the entire grant process before the end of the year (and be prepared to apply for a basic grant).

[Image removed by sender.]We cover each phase in the grant writing and submission process:

1) Prepare
2) Focus on Library Priorities
3) Develop the Grant Project
4) Research Funders and Find Appropriate Grants
5) Write the Grant Proposal
6) Implement, Evaluate and Continue the Process

There are many library and federal grant opportunities with deadlines in December, so if you are trying to get a grant application out the door, we are just in time to help.

Free TechSoup Webinars[Image removed by sender.]
Winning Grants<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=ZW-WSLXHQ1o1avfVnzfiDw..>

Thursday, December 9, 2010, 11:00 a.m. Pacific (Noon Mountain / 1pm Central / 2 pm Eastern)

Grants can support the changing needs in your community while your budget is flat or shrinking and provide many benefits (in addition to funding!). This webinar will be easy to understand, motivating, and full of valuable tips.

Discover the confidence and knowledge to win grants, find out the best method for writing grant proposals, and learn all the steps to successful grant work. Stephanie Gerding<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=I01_aayd1c-95La83epFYw..> will share practical advice, easy grants for beginners, and valuable worksheets and resource lists. We'll also learn about free resources for finding funding opportunities and valuable discounted software products to aid your grant work, including GrantStation<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=7vcMBq6BCwN9ubrh2FrQfA..>. You'll be excited, motivated, and ready with the knowledge needed to apply the basic process of grant work.

Visit the webinar archives<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=CZJG3v3I8tk6i56m0dWxzA..> to watch past webinars.

Librarian Spotlight: Michelle Foster<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=hoyznDTTUD8ivEMivYewEw..>[Image removed by sender. mf photo]

We originally spoke with Michelle Foster a few years ago, so we thought we'd check-in for an update. With Foster at the helm, Boone County Public Library<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=bJPvGiBK5pEEWieWxFNFNw..>'s IT department has implemented a myriad of new technologies. Foster says these purchases will prevent problems down the road and ensure good ROI (return-on-investment). Read <http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=ZrVVK9HXKHDKmBniaxZXng..> about her solutions to common problems and software choices including Wireless Access Manager<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=Y9PrW3nBNMCQbZiDWQpdyA..>, Integrated Disc Media Unlocker<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=eez7CgTUk-RJqwBlQ7975Q..>, and Polaris Fusion<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=SDQp4iHTAU_uFV_Q9oQL4g..>. Her planning allows the library to capably support its ever-rising circulation by ensuring its services and materials remain accessible to all and community needs are met through new programming such as a Technology Petting Zoo.

Monthly Survey

[Image removed by sender.]TechSoup, with support from the Surdna Foundation<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=5bDIm8rapOVqRtsFNrFnOg..>, has been researching the needs of nonprofits and libraries<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=zlqGGXx1PG_G79wDt3c3nw..> who received Broadband Technologies Opportunities Program (BTOP) grants, to help them succeed in grant implementation and sustainable development.

This month, we'd like you to share your computer use policies with us. Please complete this survey<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=7QKl2WVXoeLZjpr6SZP5aA..>, and we'll enter your name in a monthly prize drawing. This month's winner, selected by Sarah's daughter, is Susan Staples, from the High Plains Library District in Greeley, CO.

Happy Holidays!

[Image removed by sender. Gerding Washburn]In this busy time of celebrating with friends and family, we are grateful to you for your gift of continued participation and support. We hope our support of your important work is helpful to you. Tell us<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=7gl40OmAgs9NtQlEEZNrGg..> a library technology story, or share your joy in solving a technology issue. Stories are gifts! Don't forget that what might be "that's nothing" to you may be an "aha!" to someone else!

-Sarah Washburn and Stephanie Gerding
techsoupforlibraries at techsoup.org<mailto:techsoupforlibraries at techsoup.org>

TechSoup Global is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working towards the day when every nonprofit, library, and social benefit organization on the planet has the technology knowledge and resources they need to operate at their full potential.

TechSoup Global, 435 Brannan Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94107 Copyright (c) 2010 TechSoup Global. All rights reserved.