[Libs-Or] Collection of links on science, medicine, scholarly communication and general Web stuff

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Thu Dec 9 21:58:41 PST 2010

Hi, all. I have been poking around in Twitter again and would like to pass along some links to stuff I found interesting.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services
815 NW 9th Street Suite 203A
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 768-5712
http://www.researchraven.com/

Replacing the Paper: The Twelve Rs of the e-Research Record

http://blogs.nature.com/eresearch/2010/11/replacing_the_paper_the_twelve_rs_of_the_e-research_record.html

IP Grey Markets at Research Universities

http://www.business-strategy-innovation.com/wordpress/2010/11/ip-grey-markets-at-research-universities/

A Web Designers Guide to Information Architecture

http://www.inspiredm.com/2010/07/25/information-architecture/

Worth reading for an idea of how to make institutional repositories more than the dreaded “roach motel”—and you get this from an IR, too!

MePrints: Building User Centred Repositories

http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/21716/

Getting Started with Drupal: A Comprehensive Hands-On Guide

http://sixrevisions.com/web-development/getting-started-with-drupal-a-comprehensive-hands-on-guide/

22 Excellent Tips for New Drupal Developers

http://sixrevisions.com/web-development/22-excellent-tips-for-new-drupal-developers/

Is open peer review the fairest system? Yes

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6424

One Good Kern Deserves Another

http://www.creativepro.com/article/one-good-kern-deserves-another

Diaspora

Share what you want, with whom you want.

http://diasp.org/

Definition of Health 2.0 and Medicine 2.0: A Systematic Review

http://www.jmir.org/2010/2/e18/

enGrant Scientific Launches Site for Tracking Scientific Research and Grant Funding

http://www.prweb.com/releases/enGrant-Scientific/GrantScape-Search-Engine/prweb4821824.htm

Is there a disconnect between Big Data and the Web of Data ?

http://cloudofdata.com/2010/11/is-there-a-disconnect-between-big-data-and-the-web-of-data/

The economic impact of consumer copyright exceptions: A literature review

http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/publications/the-economic-impact-of-consumer-copyright-exceptions-a-literature-review

8 Web Conferencing/Meeting Apps for Freelancers for Real-time Collaboration

http://www.webdesigneronline.co.uk/8-web-conferencingmeeting-apps-for-freelancers-for-real-time-collaboration

Clive Thompson on Coding for the Masses

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/11/st_thompson_wereallcoders/

Cute little video here:

The Joy of Stats with Hans Rosling

http://flowingdata.com/2010/11/30/the-joy-of-stats-with-hans-rosling/

Analysis of retractions in PubMed

http://nsaunders.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/analysis-of-retractions-in-pubmed/

Typekit Lets You Customize the Web With Your Own Fonts

http://mashable.com/2010/11/30/typekit-custom-web-fonts/

Preparing and Planning for a Redesign

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/10/preparing-and-planning-for-a-redesign/

Good stuff here and not only for science/technology librarians:

http://www.istl.org/10-fall/index.html

Emergency Medicine and Critical Care FREE podcasts

http://lifeinthefastlane.com/2010/12/emergency-medicine-podcasts/

The Accessibility of WAI-ARIA

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/the-accessibility-of-wai-aria/

The 5 big mistakes in virtual education

http://www.slideshare.net/guiramirez/the-5-bigmistakesofvirtualeducation

Why We Can't Afford Not to Create a Well-Stocked National Digital Library System

http://www.theatlantic.com/personal/print/2010/11/why-we-cant-afford-not-to-create-a-well-stocked-national-digital-library-system/66111/

5 of the Best Free and Open Source Data Mining Software

http://www.junauza.com/2010/11/free-data-mining-software.html

Word clouds in the life sciences

http://comprendia.com/2010/11/30/using-word-clouds-for-life-science-marketing-and-communication/

Taking a blog kickback? Slap a Cmp.ly on it

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/01/technology/paid_blogger_disclosure/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Cloud computing in libraries

http://www.slideshare.net/ellyssa/cloud-computing-in-libraries

5 Interesting Social Media Infographics

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/55-interesting-social-media-infographics/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

An Exchange of Views

http://blogs.nature.com/natprot/2010/12/01/exchange-protocols

This is the site discussed:

http://www.nature.com/protocolexchange/

Making community health information as useful as weather data

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/06/unlocking-innovation-through-d.html

Design Inspiration: Text Art Showcase

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/galleries/text-art/

Linking taxonomic databases to the primary literature: BHL and the Australian Faunal Directory

http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2010/12/linking-taxonomic-databases-to-primary.html

Social media search engines

http://www.slideshare.net/Philbradley/onlinemasterclass-final

Two tools for collaborative use of social media

http://hashwork.com/

http://cotweet.com/

An Analysis of Twitter and Facebook Use by the Archival Community

http://www.crymble.ca/adam/cv/publications/Crymble-Archivaria.pdf

Introducing Google Earth Engine

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/introducing-google-earth-engine.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FMKuf+%28Official+Google+Blog%29

Advanced visualization without programming – Impure

http://flowingdata.com/2010/12/02/advanced-visualization-without-programming-impure/

Google Maps & Label Readability

http://www.41latitude.com/post/2072504768/google-maps-label-readability

Open access to scientific research: where are we and where are we going? Facts and figures on the occasion of the 2010 Open Access Week (October 18-24)

http://eprints.rclis.org/19173/

Standards Corner: Update: The Direct Project

http://www.himss.org/ASP/topics_News_item.asp?cid=75411&tid=33

Make Your Computer a Web Server or Development Machine in Under 10 Minutes

http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/make-your-computer-a-web-server-or-development-machine-in-under-10-minutes/29082?sid=pm&utm_source=pm&utm_medium=en

Best Kinetic Typography Sequences for your Inspiration

http://conceptdezain.com/blog/2010/12/02/best-kinetic-typography/

A Study of Self-Plagiarism

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2010/12/03/zirkel

Getting Rid of Books: A Heresy

http://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/library_babel_fish/getting_rid_of_books_a_heresy

A deeper dive into Do-Not-Track

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/12/ftc-considers-do-not-track-fla.html

20+ Brochure Design Examples: Ideas for Your Print Projects

http://www.youthedesigner.com/2010/12/02/20-brochure-design-examples-ideas-for-your-print-projects/

Medical researcher discovers integration, gets 75 citations

http://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/

Introducing ReSearch.ly – A Window into Twitter’s Interest Graphs

http://www.briansolis.com/2010/12/introducing-research-ly-a-window-into-twitters-interest-graphs/

30+ Wonderful Examples of Lomography Images

http://www.hybridlava.com/artwork/photography/30-wonderful-examples-of-lomography-images/

Working with Flash: Tips & Tricks to Create a Detailed Image

http://www.onextrapixel.com/2010/01/26/working-with-flash-tips-tricks-to-create-a-detailed-image/

Submission Fees - A tool in the transition to open access?

http://www.knowledge-exchange.info/Default.aspx?ID=413’

Who Would Suffer The Most (And Least) Under Do Not Track

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-who-would-suffer-the-most-and-least-under-do-not-track/

For those you not yet familiar with the leading Open Science thinker, Cameron Neylon, here is a distillation of many of his ideas:
The Gatekeeper is Dead:

http://www.slideshare.net/CameronNeylon/the-gatekeeper-is-dead-long-live-the-gatekeeper

The Future of the Health Graph (Health Social Layer) – Part 1

http://citizenmed.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/health-graph-part-1/

Spatial Semantics for Better Interoperability and Analysis: Challenges and Experiences in Building Semantically Rich Applications in Web 3.0

http://www.slideshare.net/knoesis/spatial-semantics-for-better-interoperability-and-analysis-challenges-and-experiences-in-building-semantically-rich-applications-in-web-30

Cute little video of a neat product:

A Bloomfire is a website geared specifically for easily sharing knowledge and the discussions that surround it
http://www.bloomfire.com/

Show me the numbers
http://arcadiaproject.blogspot.com/2010/12/show-me-numbers.html

15 Essential Tools for Windows Based Web Developers
http://www.designyourway.net/blog/resources/15-essential-tools-for-windows-based-web-developers/

healthcare hashtags

http://www.foxepractice.com/healthcare-hashtags

Outbreaks Near Me

http://www.healthmap.org/outbreaksnearme/

Why researchers should blog

http://highered.prblogs.org/2010/11/26/researchersblog/?sms_ss=yammer&at_xt=4cf54fa33dd433b0,0

Yammer (yammer.com) "Twitter for business"

https://www.yammer.com/

Chaordix makes crowdsourcing simple

http://www.chaordix.com/why-crowdsource

Cute little  video:

Glympse™ is a groundbreaking new way to share your location with anyone for a specified period of time using patent-pending GlympseWatch™ timer.

http://glympse.com/what_is_glympse

Multi-Actor Analysis for Identifying the Economic Viability of eCare Solutions

http://www.slideshare.net/smartcareplatform/medicine2010-van-ooteghem

30+ Useful Infographics for your Inspiration

http://www.hybridlava.com/graphics/30-useful-infographics-for-your-inspiration/

Useful set of resources for teaching statistics K-college

Teaching Statistics (think novice nurse researchers)

http://www.rsscse.org.uk/ts/gtb/contents.html

Digital scholarship and libraries

http://htwkbk.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/digital-scholarship-and-libraries/

Why I put my work into the public domain

http://soupgreens.com/2010/11/28/why-i-put-my-work-into-the-public-domain/

Rivi is a high-performance RenderedImage viewer suitable for viewing very big images.

http://reader.imagero.com/rivi/

Check out Qwiki.com new type of #search, returns answer or video on a subject. I found this quite cool, actually.

http://www.qwiki.com/

30 Free Fonts Perfect For Typographical Introductions

http://bluefaqs.com/2010/01/30-free-fonts-perfect-for-typographical-introductions/

Why I Don't Use Libraries for Reference Anymore

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/reviewsreference/887362-283/why_i_dont_use_libraries.html.csp

55 New APIs: SMS Text Messages, Cloud Email and Location Marketing

http://blog.programmableweb.com/2010/12/05/55-new-apis-sms-text-messages-cloud-email-and-location-marketing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ProgrammableWeb+%28ProgrammableWeb%3A+Blog%29

I bet tech-savvy librarians could do really cool things with the Alibris one:

http://www.programmableweb.com/api/alibris

SearchBlox is an out-of-the-box Enterprise Search Solution built on top of Apache Lucene. It is fast to deploy, easy to manage and available for both on-premise and cloud deployment.

Best of all, it is free. No limitations. No restrictions.

http://www.searchblox.com/

Cute infographic
The Evolution of The Blogger

http://www.flowtown.com/blog/the-evolution-of-the-blogger

Strata Gems: Where to find data

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/12/where-to-find-data.html

25 reasons why I'll leave your website in 10 seconds

http://econsultancy.com/us/blog/6924-25-reasons-why-i-ll-leave-your-website-in-10-seconds

Widgets

DIRLINE Search for Disaster Organizations

http://disasterinfo.nlm.nih.gov/dimrc/widgetdimrc.html

Twitter Content Classification

http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2745/2681

QR code infographic (Look at this one--QR codes are going to be big, big, big!_

http://heyjude.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/qr-code-infographic/

eXtending the Web – a gaze into the future

http://heyjude.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/extending-the-web-a-gaze-into-the-future/

Can Klout Really Measure Influence?

http://socialfresh.com/can-klout-really-measure-influence/

New York Law School Law Review Publishes Special Issue about Google Books Lawsuit and Settlement

http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/2010/12/06/new-york-law-school-law-review-publishes-special-issue-about-google-books-lawsuit-and-settlement/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DigitalKoans+%28DigitalKoans%29

Red sites showcase

http://www.webia.info/articles/red-sites-showcase/

Top 7 Free Twitter Tools To Track People That Stopped Following You

http://savedelete.com/top-7-free-twitter-tools-to-track-people-that-stopped-following-you.html

Forward linking and keeping context in the scholarly literature

http://cameronneylon.net/blog/forward-linking-and-keeping-context-in-the-scholarly-literature/

The Illusion of Google's Limitless Library

http://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/library_babel_fish/the_illusion_of_google_s_limitless_library

30 Top Best Free Fonts From 2010

http://creativenerds.co.uk/freebies/30-top-best-free-fonts-from-2010/

18 Super Quick Web Typography Tips for Newbies

http://speckyboy.com/2010/11/14/18-super-quick-web-typography-tips-for-newbies/

Dipity taps data for infographics and revenue

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/12/dipity-infographics-data-products.html

What is CiteBank?

CiteBank is an open access platform to aggregate citations for biodiversity publications and deliver access to biodiversity related articles. CiteBank aggregates links to content from digital libraries, publishers, and other bibliographic systems in order to provide a single point of access to the world’s biodiversity literature, including content created by its community of users. CiteBank is a project of the Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL).

http://citebank.org/

database.com

http://www.database.com/

Interactive molecular manipulation using Kinect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrldmaF4rtU

2010: E-Book Buyer's Guide to E-Book Privacy

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/12/2010-e-book-buyers-guide-e-book-privacy

Real-Time Traffic App Waze

Cute little video:

http://www.waze.com/guided_tour/

Realtime.springer.com is a special service that gives you insight into what content is being read by the scientific community, all over the world, as it is happening.

http://realtime.springer.com/

Cute little video here:

Some of the key features of the Chrome OS

http://www.msigeek.com/6519/google-chrome-os-pre-beta-computers-pilot-program-and-availability

A Copyright Office for the 21st Century: Recommendations to the New Register of Copyrights

http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/2010/12/07/a-copyright-office-for-the-21st-century-recommendations-to-the-new-register-of-copyrights/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DigitalKoans+%28DigitalKoans%29

iPad Apps for Scientists: Taking PubMed to the next level

http://www.biotechniques.com/news/iPad-apps-for-scientists-Taking-PubMed-to-the-next-level/biotechniques-305007.html?utm_source=BioTechniques+Newsletters+%26+e-Alerts&utm_campaign=611317cb48-BioTechniques_Daily&utm_medium=email&sf691969=1

Cute little tool—fun to try for a few minutes:

Iconscrabble

http://iconscrabble.com/

How to create a Favicon

http://junenjuni.com/blog/web-design/how-to-create-a-favicon/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

11 Trends in Web Logo Design: The Good, the Bad and the Overused

http://mashable.com/2010/09/28/web-logo-design-trends/

Way over my head but useful to know about

Virtuoso Sponger
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtSponger#Why%20is%20it%20Important?

Intelligent Video: The Top Cultural & Educational Video Sites

http://www.openculture.com/intelligentvideo

Digital Science – The Perfect Complement

http://www.science3point0.com/blog/2010/12/07/digital-science-the-perfect-complement/?utm_content=backtype-tweetcount&utm_medium=bt.io-twitter&utm_source=friendfeed.com

Why should data be released under the CC0 waiver...

http://scienceblogs.com/confessions/2010/12/why_should_data_be_released_un.php

Very useful stuff here:

Presentations from the SPARC 2010 Digital Repositories Meeting

http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/2010/12/09/presentations-from-the-sparc-2010-digital-repositories-meeting/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DigitalKoans+(DigitalKoans)

Such as this:

Small is beautiful: Data Curation for the Rest of Us:

http://www.arl.org/sparc/bm~doc/steinhart.pdf

Post-publication peer review in public: poison or progress?

http://cenblog.org/terra-sigillata/2010/12/08/post-publication-peer-review-in-public-poison-or-progress/

message.