[Libs-Or] Is this a question you would answer? - This may be a warning

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:47:45 PST 2010

Today I received a call at the office which I suspect was from one of those
companies that sends you stuff and then tells you that you ordered it but
you know that you would never have placed such an order.  So, I am sending
this message out to you so you have a bit of a warning.

I answered the phone and the guy wanted to speak to me about our
photocopier.

He says:  "I am calling about your copier and need to update our
information.  You just need to go look on the front of your copier and tell
me the make and serial number."

I paused for a couple of seconds (because I am a slow thinker) and was
trying to figure out what this could possibly be about and then realize that
he had not identified a company.

I said:  "What is your company?"

He said:  "The main headquarters for your copier located in Virginia."

I lease our copier and know the name of the bank carrying the lease (and
where I pay the bills) and the company that arranged the lease and does the
maintenance.  Neither is in Virginia.

I said:  Well, since you are not giving me a name of a company I assume you
are not the company from which we lease our copier so I am now going to end
this call."

I had a staff member once answer a phone call that may have been similar to
this one and they sent the library 10 toner cartridges and an outrageous
bill.  It was not fun getting them sent back to the company.  The library
happens to still use that printer and it is now about 7 years later and I
have only purchased 4 toner cartridge for the machine.

--

*Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District