[Libs-Or] Science Commons Symposium – Pacific Northwest on February 20, 2010

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Sun Feb 7 08:57:45 PST 2010

Hello, fellow members of the Oregon library community. I just want to update you on the latest developments about the conference I am helping to organize, Science Commons Symposium – Pacific Northwest on February 20, 2010 on the Microsoft campus:

http://sciencecommons.org/events/salon/

http://scs.eventbrite.com/

The conference is international in scope and features several of the most important figures in the areas of online science and Open Access. We are expecting a pretty good turnout by medical, science and academic librarians who are interested in developing alliances with scientists and technologists who are creating new modes of scientific communication. This is a burgeoning movement that librarians have a lot to contribute to.

The first important development is that we have added two speakers to the lineup:

Peter Binfield is the publisher of the online journal PLoS ONE, one of the journal offerings of the Public Library of Science, and is a respected innovator and analyst in the fields of online science, scholarly publishing (both Open Access and mainstream/commercial), and scientific communication.

Peter Murray-Rust is an accomplished chemist, a faculty member of Churchill College at the University of Cambridge, a leader in the Open Data movement, a founding member of the Blue Obelisk organization.

I have heard Peter Binfield speak and his work on article metrics is quite fascinating: http://tinyurl.com/binfieldarticle

And to reiterate, it is not just scientists who are speaking and attending but leaders in the areas of copyright and Open Access such as John Wilbanks and Heather Joseph of SPARC, the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition.

The other new development is that we are holding a T-shirt design contest: http://tinyurl.com/sctshirtcontest

and the prize is nothing to sneeze at, “Prize consists of round trip airfare from a US city to Seattle, two night hotel and a ticket to Science Commons Symposium.” Would you all please alert your colleagues to that and library students as well? It is a wonderful opportunity for someone to not only attend the symposium, but for him or her to get a chance to visit the Seattle area for free. The deadline for submissions on that is February 12th. And, hey, you could enter the contest yourself.

Here is a post by one of my fellow organizers of the symposium, Deepak Singh of Amazon:

http://mndoci.com/2010/02/05/science-commons-symposium-pacific-northwest-invite-codes/

Thanks for listening!

Hope Leman
Research Information Technologist