[Libs-Or] New DVD at OSL: Millenials in the Library

Jennifer Maurer maurer_jennifer at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Feb 24 14:14:23 PST 2010

On November 13, 2009, the College of DuPage sponsored a webcast called Millennials in the Library as part of its Library Futures: Staying Ahead of the Curve series.  It was made available free of charge to staff from Oregon libraries through a statewide membership to BCR (http://www.bcr.org/), paid for by the Oregon State Library with LSTA funds.  A recording of that webcast is now available for checkout in DVD format.  Running time is 90 minutes.

Requesting Materials from OSL
If you would like to request this or other materials from the State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, work shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings.

Evaluation Survey for Millennials in the Library
If you viewed the webcast or the DVD, please take 5 minutes to fill out an online evaluation.
http://library.state.or.us/services/surveys/survey.php?sid=325

Description from the College of DuPage Press
The Millennial Generation, Generation Y, Echo Boomers, Digital Natives, and the Trophy Generation are all terms used to describe people born in the United States between the early 1980s and the late 1990s. Shaped by a heady mix of culture, politics, and technology, "Millennials" have had an unprecedented exposure to mass media, pop culture, instant communication, and cultural freedom woven together by a complex technological net.  Jennifer Kushell, President of the YSN.com (Your Success Network) and author of "Secrets of the Young and Successful," will explore the social impact Millennials will have on our culture and specifically on our libraries.  Having worked extensively with this powerhouse, global generation, Jennifer will answer the questions: Who are Millennials? How do they interact with information and technology? In what ways can our libraries better serve them as patrons, students, and staff?
Jennifer will be joined by Mandy McGee, Librarian and Manager of Adult and Teen Services, and Monica Harris, Teen Services Librarian, from the Oak Park Public Library.  Please join us for an exciting discussion on library adaptation to the changing face of our patrons.
Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant