[Libs-Or] Summer program -- touring marionette troupe

Hicks, Doris doris.hicks at cityofalbany.net
Mon Jan 4 16:38:32 PST 2010

Hello to my fellow librarians in Oregon.  At the Albany Public Library, we are trying to schedule performances of Little Red Riding Hood by the Eulenspiegel Puppets of Iowa as part of their tentative tour of the Northwest in early August.  In order to make this tour work, the troupe needs to schedule at least 10 shows in this area, at $300 each.  I have seen the show performed at a puppetry festival, and I was very impressed.  It uses Bohemian-style marionettes and an incredible set and scenery that is an enormous pop-up book.  This is a great price!   The puppeteers need to book the shows by January 11, or they will have to cancel the 2010 tour, and book August shows in their home area instead.

Would your library be interested in scheduling a performance during the week of August 2-9?  If so, what days and times would work for your schedule?

Below is a description of the show, furnished by the Eulenspiegel Puppets, and you can see a photos from Little Red Riding Hood and their other shows at http://www.puppetspuppets.com/hire/

Please let me know if you are interested, as soon as possible.   I really hope to make this tour happen so we can have these performances at our library.

Thank you.
Doris Hicks

 Eulenspiegel's adaptation of this beloved Grimms fairy tale uses delightfully
crafted miniature Bohemian marionettes created by puppeteer Monica Leo.  The set
is an extra-large pop-up storybook also designed and created by Leo.   The
script, laced with wit and whimsy, was written by puppeteer Teri Jean Breitbach.
The production was directed by well-known director Michael Sokoloff.  In
addition to seven puppets, the cast includes a wacky, flamboyant storyteller who
relates to the audience as well as the puppets.

Eulenspiegel's Little Red Riding Hood stays close to the original story line
while adding delightful details.  Shiver with Little Red as she meets the wolf.
Help Granny as she does her laundry.  Rejoice with the woodcutter as he saves
Granny and Little Red.  Enjoy the happy ending!

I recently concluded a tour of libraries in Albuquerque with this show, and it
was extremely well received by audiences of all ages.  If you'd like, I can put
you in touch with my contact there.

Although it's a small show, it plays well for surprisingly large audiences (I
once did it for an entire school-300+ kids!)