[Libs-Or] Email Notification Complaint

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Tue Jan 5 17:31:30 PST 2010

Hi Diedre. Email notifications, such as the ³Concerned Patron² is concerned
about do not constitute a violation of ORS 192.502(23). CP¹s interpretation
of the law is incorrect.

The law does not ³state that the library will not disclose² the name and
address of library patrons. The law makes these library records exempt from
disclosure under Oregon public records law. But an exemption from the public
records law is not the same thing as a prohibition against disclosure.
Attached is a Letter of Advice that the State Library received from the
Oregon Attorney General¹s Office in 1995 that explains this in answer to
question #2. Library staff in Oregon should be familiar with this.

Every Oregon library needs to have a policy in place that covers their use
of patron records, as the AG advice points out. Ideally this policy would
cover the issue of email notifications. The suggestion of the Concerned
Patron to remove the address from email notifications might be reasonable
and could be made part of library policy.

Thanks for raising this important issue.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.