[Libs-Or] Free Webinar: Making the Best of a Shrinking Budget: Creative Practices in a New Economy

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Thu Jan 28 07:57:02 PST 2010

Webinar Title: Making the Best of a Shrinking Budget: Creative Practices in a New Economy

Speaker: Leslie Burger, Alice Calabrese-Berry and Mary Case
Cost: Free to Library Staff of Oregon Libraries
Date: Friday, January 29, 2010

Costs rise while budgets and our buying power shrink.  And if we want to innovate, the incorporation of new formats and technologies taxes our budgets even further.  Librarians, traditionally used to budgets with modest or no growth, now face steep cuts.
In the face of insufficient funding, libraries reduce hours, cut subscriptions, step up their resource sharing efforts, engage in consortial buys, outsource where possible, use staff more creatively, deal more aggressively with vendors, boost fundraising efforts, mount advocacy campaigns, seek open source solutions, seek input from focus groups to prioritize services, and even merge with other libraries. . .

Join Leslie Burger, Director of the Princeton (NJ) Public Library and founder of Library Development Solutions, Alice Calabrese-Berry, Executive Director of Metropolitan (Chicago) Library System and Mary Case, Director of Libraries at the University of Illinois at Chicago  for a discussion of best ways to deal with these difficult budget trends.   What principles should guide librarians in saving money?  How can we sustain our core services?  Our panelists will share their knowledge and experience and explore creative library practices in this new economy.
This webcast is 90 minutes in length. Visit http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/index.html for additional information or contact BCR directly at info at bcr.org

Location:
View the training via webcast from your personal computer or a computer you can access easily. Or you may attend a group session at a location near you. Please review the host sites http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/sites/oregon/economy.html to find a convenient location. (Check back later if no Oregon sites are listed initially)

How to Register:
Register online at http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/registration.html - registration is FREE.

Background Information:
This webcast is being made available free of charge to staff from Oregon libraries through a statewide membership to BCR (http://www.bcr.org), paid for by the Oregon State Library with LSTA funds.

An online archive of this presentation will be available for up to 30 days after the original broadcast date. Please visit http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/index.html for more information.

A DVD of this webcast should be available for you to check out from the State Library about one month after the date it was broadcast. DVDs of previous webcasts are available from State Library (http://catalog.willamette.edu/search~S2/X?college+of+dupage&SORT=DX&searchscope=2) through your library's establish interlibrary loan process. Learn more about these DVDs and other Library and Information Science professional resources at our blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/).

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528