[Libs-Or] New Book on Copyright Available at State Library

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Jul 7 16:35:33 PDT 2010

During the recent Libs-Or discussion about Bit Torrent, someone mentioned a specific copyright book.  We now have that title available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library.

[cid:image001.png at 01CB1DF1.928ED870]

Lipinski, Tomas A. The Complete Copyright Liability Handbook for Librarians and Educators. New York: Neal-Schuman, 2006. ISBN 1-55570-532-4

>From the publisher:
Librarians and information professionals have ethical and legal responsibilities not only to their users, but also to the information they make available-including the copyrighted materials they license, loan, digitize, and deliver. Tomas Lipinski, a library educator, licensed attorney, and frequent presenter of copyright workshops, offers this comprehensive guide to copyright liability issues specifically aimed at libraries and information centers. This guide is a librarian's primer for copyright risk-management. It covers direct, contributory, and vicarious infringement; immunity; damage remission; notice provisions; and more. Current, practical, and authoritative, Lipinski includes discussions of the DMCA, TEACH Act, and other recent legislation as well as sample notices, policies, and audit tools. His coverage of print, non-print, and new technologies (Web sites, distance education, circulating software, e-books etc.), makes this handbook essential for public, academic, and school librarians.

If you would like to request this or other materials from the Oregon State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos).  Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection, and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us.

This collection is funded with LSTA funds administered by the Oregon State Library.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant