[Libs-Or] "Sweet 16" is sweet indeed! Gateways conference registration is open

Gilmont, Susan susan.gilmont at oregonstate.edu
Tue Jun 8 09:23:15 PDT 2010

Registration is now open for Gateways 2010, the 16th annual conference of Oregon Library Association's Support Staff Division. https://web.memberclicks.com/mc/quickForm/viewForm.do?orgId=ola&formId=82926  (You can see the whole program on the registration form.)  I'm extremely pleased to be able to say that our "Sweet 16" conference looks to be excellent. I had tough choices to make for every single session.

Highlights:
Past OLA President, Oregon City Library director and strong support staff backer Maureen Cole will be giving the keynote address.

Carolee Harrison of PSU will be leading an all-day book repair workshop.  If you have never attended one of these, or have never been able to attend a hands-on session, get ready for a wonderful experience.  You will learn, and you will reinforce what you learn with expert guidance.  Just what the book doctor ordered.

Other topics include:  On the Front Lines: Support Staff and Intellectual Freedom; Serving Patrons with Disabilities; Treasures from the Vaults: Special Collections in Oregon Libraries; Stable Libraries, Stable Jobs; Author, Author (a session on support staffers pursuing writing careers; and the ever-popular A Day in the Life of a Library Assistant.

Amenities include a breakfast buffet, lunch, basket raffles, and many opportunities to network with your peers.

The conference will be held Friday, July 23 with registration and breakfast from 7:30-8:30, and runs from 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. at the Salem Conference Center ( http://salemconferencecenter.org/ ).

This is going to be a good one.  I hope to see you there!

Susan Gilmont, SSD Chair
Guin Library, Hatfield Marine Science Ctr
Oregon State University
2030 S Marine Science Dr
Newport  OR  97365-5296

541-867-0162