[Libs-Or] Bittorrent downloading in libraries--Any solutions?

GIBBON Cindy cindyg at multcolib.org
Tue Jun 29 12:54:52 PDT 2010

Just to clarify a bit more, the legal issue has to do with receiving
notices, usual from the library's ISP, that the ISP has heard from a
copyright holder that someone at one of the library's IP addresses is
conducting illegal downloads of copyrighted materials. From a legal
standpoint, the way you protect yourself is to post the required notices
specified in copyright law.

When I was reviewing this with our attorney, we referred to Complete
Copyright Liability Handbook for Librarians and Educators (published in
2006).  The author, attorney Thomas Lipinski, suggests that if an
institution wants to qualify for the "safe harbor" monetary liability
limits offered in Section 512 of the copyright law, there should be a
notice to patrons like the one I quote below, which is both in our
Acceptable Use of the Internet policy and on our click-thru agreement.

The bandwidth issue is separate and is really a library resource
management issue.  Too many bittorrent users and the rest of your users
won't be able to get access becasue your bandwidth is all chewed up.

Cindy

Cindy Gibbon
Senior Library Manager for
Access and IT Services