[Libs-Or] Fwd: [District Dispatch] Open meeting on release of national broadband plan marks the beginning of a long process

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:51:20 PDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jacob Roberts <jroberts at alawash.org>
Date: Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM
Subject: [District Dispatch] Open meeting on release of national broadband
plan marks the beginning of a long process
To: district at ala.org

FULL POST: http://bit.ly/aHzT4p
--
District Dispatch has posted a new item, 'Open meeting on release of
national
broadband plan marks the beginning of a long process'

After many months of speculation, anticipation, trepidation, and debate, the
Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) National Broadband Plan (NBP) was
released yesterday. It was officially released just prior to the open
meeting
held for the Omnibus Broadband Initiative (OBI) team responsible for
crafting
the NBP to formally present it to the Commission.  Though not as enmeshed in
the details of developing the NBP as the FCC team was, many of us in the
Washington Office have been following the drama closely.

After filing comments this past fall, providing data and clarifications to
the
education and economic development teams, and supporting an FCC commissioned
study on barriers to adoption, seeing the 360-page document warrants due
pause.
 Attending the open meeting was both a small reward and a reminder of the
tremendous work yet to be done.

The open meeting was as much a recognition of the long and tedious hours put
in
by the OBI team as it was a moment for reflection on the opportunities
before
us as the plan moves from recommendations to action steps.  Chairman Julius
Genachowski opened the meeting by enumerating the various ways this
initiative
is unique for the Commission.  He rightly praised the process as open and
transparent as well as publically inclusive.  The Commission held 36 public
workshops and issued 31 public notices.  These notices resulted in 23,000
comments and 74,000 pages that the OBI team reviewed.  Many of these
comments
are included in the NBP as direct examples and footnotes.  Genachowski
lauded
the use of “new media” to create further avenues for reaching the public.
Blogband.gov had over 1,200 comments which are now part of the official
record
and @fcc, the Commission’s Twitter feed, has over 333,000 followers.

The tone of the meeting balanced a sense of accomplishment on the part of
the
Commission and the OBI team with the understanding that to bring the plan to
fruition will require months of hearings, rulemakings, and debate.
Participating in yesterday’s event, even as an audience member, brought home
to me that the NBP creates both opportunities and challenges in the months
and
years ahead.  We have been given a chance to affect the course of broadband
connectivity and adoption for communities nationwide.  A number of
recommendations highlighted by the Commissioners and the OBI team shout
“library.”      These include a focus on digital literacy skills training,
increasing civic engagement, and improving the E-rate program.  As we move
forward digesting the NBP, I am hopeful we can successfully articulate the
role
libraries play in helping their patrons reap the benefits of high capacity
broadband connectivity.

Marijke Visser
OITP Information Technology Policy Analyst

You may view the latest post at
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=4600

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates
are
posted.
Best regards,
Jacob Roberts