[Libs-Or] Fwd: remember CIPA?

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 17:46:16 PDT 2010

I thought you might find this interesting.

Bloglines <http://www.bloglines.com/> user *diedre08 at gmail.com* has sent
this item to you.

      *librarian.net* <http://www.librarian.net/>
putting the rarin back in librarian since 1999
    remember CIPA? <http://www.librarian.net/stax/3229/remember-cipa/>By
jessamyn on lawsuits

Remember CIPA? And remember how we were always holding out hope that someone
would challenge it in an “as applied” challenge, an adult who wanted to view
material that was blocked by the filters? Well there’s been a challenge, in
Washington state, and the State Supreme Court ruled that filtering for
adults was in fact
permissible<http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/05/06/libraries-can-block-porn-state-supreme-court-rules>,
lumping it in with collection development. The case concerns the North
Central Regional Library System <http://www.ncrl.org/> Opinion
here<http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/index.cfm?fa=opinions.showOpinion&filename=822000MAJ>and
dissenting
opinion here<http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/index.cfm?fa=opinions.showOpinion&filename=822000Di1>.
Interestingly, the sites that were contentious in this case were web sites
on firearms, not pornography or otherwise racy topics. Can you see
WomenShooters.com <http://www.womenshooters.com/> at your library?

NCRL’s filtering policy does not prevent any speech and in particular it
does not ban or attempt to ban online speech before it occurs. Rather, it is
a standard for making determinations about what will be included in the
collection available to NCRL’s patrons.

 Thus, NCRL’s filtering policy, when applied, is not comparable to removal
of items from NCRL’s collection, but rather acquisition of materials to add
to its collection. NCRL has made the only kind of realistic choice of
materials that is possible without unduly and unnecessarily curtailing the
information available to a bare trickle — or a few drops — of the vast river
of information available on the Internet.

This may be the set up for a very interesting lawsuit. I hope they appeal.

   Comments <http://www.librarian.net/stax/3229/remember-cipa/#comments>

--
Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District