[Libs-Or] LearningExpress Library Now Available to Oregon Libraries

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Mon Nov 8 17:24:29 PST 2010

Great news!  LearningExpress Library (LEL) is now available for use by all Oregon residents for at least the next five years.

                                    [cid:image001.png at 01CB7F65.049C2EC0]

What is LearningExpress Library?
In short, it is a test prep and computer skills database and then some.  For example, there are practice tests to help K12 and college students hone reading, math, and in some cases, writing skills.  Studying for the SAT, CDL, or nurses' exam?  There's assistance for that, too.  Need help writing a resume or learning Microsoft Excel for Windows or Macintosh?  Try an LEL course.  There are also lots of eBooks that users can access; Grammar Essentials, ACT Essay Practice, Statistics Success in 20 Minutes a Day, Real Estate Broker Exam, and Lo Último en Guias Para Obtener Su Tarjeta Verde are just a sampling.

How Do I Access LearningExpress Library?
First, someone from your library will have to fill out the Excel form about authentication and access.  After mailing that to customer support, you will receive an email with your library's unique URL for accessing LearningExpress Library.  Add that link to your website, and you should be set.  This support page for Oregon users has the details.
            http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/technology/sdlp/LearningExpress/

Does Each User Have to Create an Account?
Yes.  Since users take tests and courses on LearningExpress Library, they need their own account to save works-in-progress and access completed tasks and score histories.  Users need to remember the user name and password that they choose when they sign up for their account.

How Do Users Create an Account?
Click on the LearningExpress logo or link found on your library's website.
At the bottom of the center column on the LEL homepage, click on Register, found under New Users.
Fill out the short form and click on Register.  (An email address is required.)
Write down your user name and password for future reference.

Will I Get Training On This?
Yes.  First, the built-in help center has some good information to orient new users.  These are just a few topics:
            http://www.learnatest.com/LEL/index.cfm/help/NavigatingLearningExpressLibrary
            http://www.learnatest.com/LEL/index.cfm/help/UsingtheTestsandCourses
            http://www.learnatest.com/LEL/index.cfm/help/AboutMyCenter
            http://www.learnatest.com/LEL/index.cfm/help/AccessingLearningExpressLibrary

Also, LE offers free webinars every other Wednesday.  It looks like the times are often 9am or noon for Pacific coast users.
            http://www.learningexpressllc.com/support/webinars/home.cfm

Finally, in the spring there will be 5 onsite trainings in Oregon.  Specifics will be announced later.  However, I encourage you to use the help center or participate in a webinar to get started before too long.

Are Promotional Materials Available?
Yes.  When you receive the email from LibraryExpress customer support (see How Do I Access LEL above), it will include a login to access promotional materials.

What if My Library Already Subscribes To This?
If you have a current subscription with LearningExpress, you will be moved to the OSL account and do not need to do anything to sign up.  Your library will receive a refund from LE for the remainder of the subscription.  This will happen within about 60 days of the State Library payment for the statewide license, which should be mid-November.

Soon I'll send a follow-up email with more information.  If you have questions after consulting the LearningExpress support page for Oregon users<http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/technology/sdlp/LearningExpress/>, please ask.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant