[Libs-Or] Links to items on science, medicine and general Web stuff

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Thu Nov 18 14:05:16 PST 2010

Hi, all. I have poking around in Twitter again and just want to pass along some things I found useful.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services
815 NW 9th Street Suite 203A
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 768-5712

Kind of a cool tool for Twitter types:

The Archivist:

http://archivist.visitmix.com/

Less cool but of some use:

TLists

http://www.tlists.com/

Useful look at a mobile project in a UK library:

Progressive Enhancement - Exploring the Mobile Web

http://blog.martinh.net/2010/11/progressive-enhancement-exploring.html

Using the Kindle in Library Settings - A Survey, Updated
http://www.llrx.com/features/kindlesurveyupdate.htm

The Definitive Guide to SEO for Images: 6 Steps to Image-Ranking Success

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/seo/the-definitive-guide-to-seo-for-images-6-steps-to-image-ranking-success/1241

What is Data Visualization?

http://blog.ffctn.com/what-is-data-visualization

Useful post about how to widen audiences for conferences and workshops

Go Forth and Amplify!

http://remoteworker.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/go-forth-and-amplify/

PowerPoint Fatigue?

Create astonishing presentations live and on the web

Prezi:

http://prezi.com/

15 UI Design Patterns Web Designers Should Keep Handy

http://www.onextrapixel.com/2010/11/03/15-ui-design-patterns-web-designers-should-keep-handy/

the 5 stars of open linked data

http://inkdroid.org/journal/2010/06/04/the-5-stars-of-open-linked-data/

Top Ten Content Management Systems

http://www.testking.com/techking/roundups/top-ten-contet-management-systems/

Slide show on LiquidPub

http://www.slideshare.net/birukou/20101112-librinnovando-liquidpub

This is really fascinating:

In silico research in the era of cloud computing

http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v28/n11/full/nbt1110-1181.html

The comments here are thought-provoking:

Dead Drops

http://deaddrops.com/

6 tips for using hashtags for events

http://www.myragan.tv/SocialMedia/Articles/42507.aspx

Other NSF Directorates, where are your data sharing guidelines?

http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/nsf-where/

12 Dozen Places To Educate Yourself Online

http://www.marcandangel.com/2010/11/15/12-dozen-places-to-self-educate-yourself-online/

Bit.ly Introduces Bundles: Multi-Link Sharing with One URL

http://mashable.com/2010/11/15/bit-ly-bundles/

The Reboxetine Scandal — How Should We Make Medical Trial Data Available?

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2010/11/16/the-reboxetine-scandal-how-should-we-make-medical-trial-data-available/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScholarlyKitchen+(The+Scholarly+Kitchen)

The OpenNotes project is really fascinating and important for all of those who work in healthcare (such as medical librarians). Video worth viewing:

http://www.myopennotes.org/video.shtml

Google awarded a patent for thumbnails in search results. Lawsuits imminent?

http://thenextweb.com/google/2010/11/16/google-awarded-a-patent-for-thumbnails-in-search-results-lawsuits-eminent/?awesm=tnw.to_172P9&utm_content=twitter-publisher-main&utm_medium=tnw.to-twitter&utm_source=direct-tnw.to

Web Typography: 100 Educational Resources, Tools and Techniques

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/11/16/web-typography-100-educational-resources-tools-and-techniques/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Kind of fun to try with yourself as subject:

Klout identifies influencers on topics across the social web

http://klout.com/

NPG launches experiments to improve research practices

http://www.iwr.co.uk/academic-and-humanites/3010575/NPG-launches-experiments-to-improve-research-practices

What does open bibliographic metadata mean for academic libraries?

http://infteam.jiscinvolve.org/wp/2010/11/15/what-does-open-bibliographic-metadata-mean-for-academic-libraries/

which led me to this fascinating resource:

http://obd.jisc.ac.uk/navigate

This is worth reading by librarians, too:

LinkTV Launches New Semantic Search Tool in Global Development - Pharma Should Take Notes....

http://www.eyeonfda.com/eye_on_fda/2010/11/linktv-launches-new-semantic-search-tool-in-global-development-pharma-should-take-notes.html

“What were you thinking? Do not manipulate those data”

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/what-were-you-thinking-do-not-manipulate-those-data/

Hub for progress on data citation tool support

http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/hub-for-data-citation-tool-support/

Did not quite see point of this but others might:

http://www.snip.ly/alpha

Mobile reading comes of age

http://www.slideshare.net/bfoleary/mobile-reading-comes-of-age-updated-nov-2010

Cute little video for those curious about creating smart phone apps:

App Inventor for Android

http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/index.html

message.