[Libs-Or] New Books Available from Oregon State Library

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Fri Oct 15 16:14:35 PDT 2010

The following titles are now available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library.

[cid:image005.jpg at 01CB6C84.0F2866E0]

Doucett, Elisabeth. What They Don't Teach You in Library School. Chicago: American Library Association, 2011. ISBN: 978-0-8389-3592-7

This slim, easy-to-read volume is broken into three parts based on what you need to know before you get a library job, while new on the job, and as you gain experience.

Product Description from ALA:
MLS programs do a good job of teaching the basic skills of being a librarian - how to catalog books, how to clarify a reference request, how to run a story hour. But as any working librarian will tell you, that's not the half of it. A long-time library administrator, Elisabeth Doucett gives new librarians a full dose of practical advice and wisdom that remains between the lines of most library curriculum, while also teaching seasoned professionals a thing or two. Gleaned from years of hard-fought experience, this book

  *   Covers a variety of library topics that are truly relevant to the day-to-day job, such as management, administration, and marketing
  *   Shows how librarians can use practical business and organizational skills to do a better job and further their careers
  *   Presents information in a grab-and-go format that's ready to apply in the real world
For MLS graduates just entering the job market, as well as individuals interested in switching gears through promotion or advancement, Doucett offers the inside scoop on what a librarian really needs to know.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01CB6C84.0F2866E0]

Cryer, Max. Common Phrases: and the Amazing Stories Behind Them. New York: Skyhorse, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-8389-1097-9

This book is "as good as gold" for word buffs..."I kid you not!" In day-to-day speech we use words and phrases without a passing thought as to why we use them or where they come from. Max Cryer changes all that by showing how fascinating the English language really is.

Did you know that the former host of Today, Jane Pauley, claims to have coined the term "bad hair day," or that a CBS engineer named Charley Douglass invented the name and use of "canned laughter" for television, or that "cold turkey" as a term for quitting something immediately was popularized by the novel and movie (starring Frank Sinatra), The Man with the Golden Arm? Here you'll learn the origins of "credibility gap," "my lips are sealed," "the opera's not over until the fat lady sings," "supermarket," "supermodel," "there's no accounting for taste," "thick as thieves," and hundreds more.

For anyone who loves language, this new book will "take the cake."

How to Request Materials from OSL
If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos).  Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.

OSL Blog and Online Catalog
Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection, and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is funded with LSTA money and meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  We in Library Development at OSL welcome your suggestions for acquisitions.  See the blog for an input form or email us.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant