[Libs-Or] Details on PNBA Tradeshow

Robin Beerbower RBEERBOWER at cityofsalem.net
Thu Sep 2 10:17:02 PDT 2010

Below is the official invitation from the executive director of PNBA with links to mentioned webpages.  I apologize in advance if the links appear "clunky."

Dear Northwest Librarians,

The Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association (PNBA) invites you to
attend our fall show, which will be held at the Holiday Inn at the
Portland Airport, Thursday through Saturday, October 7 - 9. Again
this year, we are offering educational sessions for librarians on the
same day as the education for booksellers, Thursday, October 7, from
8:00 am (the basic intro for First-timers) until 5:15 pm. The
preliminary education schedule for the day is posted HERE  ( http://www.pnba.org/show2010/EdPrelim10.pdf )on our web
site, as a pdf. Please remember that, although we do have one room
set aside for education that we thought might most be of interest to
librarians, everyone who attends the show is welcome to attend any
sessions that you would like. For instance, we believe that the
afternoon sessions in Salon A about our new blog Northwest
Booklovers ( http://www.nwbooklovers.org/ ), and the one after that about the fall pick of the
children's lists may be as important and informative to librarians as
they are to booksellers; and we encourage your appropriate staff to
consider attending.

The show will also feature a terrific line-up of national and
regional authors, and you are encouraged to attend as many of those
author events as you would like. The complete show schedule is posted
HERE ( http://www.pnba.org/show2010/F10FullSchedPrelim.pdf ), with the lists of authors who will speak at the Breakfasts, and
the general show page ( http://www.pnba.org/show.htm ) on our site has links to pdfs of all of the
author events and their schedules. We hope you will join us to hear
the Celebration of Authors  ( http://www.pnba.org/show2010/Celeb010Final.pdf )on Thursday at lunch and to pick up copies
of those authors' new books immediately after the presentations, and
join us at the opening Nightcapper Party  ( http://www.pnba.org/show2010/Nightcapper10.pdf )that evening, which is free
to all show attendees. One of the favorite events at the show is the
Friday night Feast of Authors ( http://www.pnba.org/show2010/FeastSched10Prelim.pdf ), in which twenty authors move from
table to table throughout your meal, discussing their new books, so
that people at each table sit personally with six authors during the
event. At the end of the event, every bookseller and librarian
attending receives a bag of books containing a selection of signed
copies of the books discussed by the authors at the Feast, with at
least a dozen signed books in every bag. All author events at the
show feature free signed books or advanced readers editions given to
attendees of the events.

If any of this sounds like it might be helpful to you or any of your
staff, we hope that you will encourage them to join us in Portland
for the fall show. You may register for the show using the form
posted HERE ( http://www.pnba.org/show2010/F10AttendeeReg.pdf ) on our web site, and pay your library membership on that
form. If your library joins PNBA (cost $125), then up to FOUR people
from your library may attend the show for free. (Individual book
professionals may attend the show for a $75 badge fee. The shows are
not open to the public.) The most efficient way to make a room
reservation at our host hotel is to use the on-line registration form
posted on our tradeshow web page ( http://www.pnba.org/show.htm ). Click the logo for the Holiday Inn
on the upper right of the page, fill in only the dates that you want
to stay overnight, type the letters "PNB" in the "group code" box,
click the "check availability" button on the lower right, and you
will be offered the room choices. Our group rate of $99/night plus
tax (with free parking!) will be available only through Friday,
September 24, or until the rooms are sold out.

Thank you for your consideration of this invitation--I hope to see
you at the Show!!

Sincerely,

Thom

Thom Chambliss, Executive Director
Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association
*Please note our new mailing address*
338 West 11th Avenue, Suite 108
Eugene, OR 97401-3062
T: 541-683-4363
F: 541-683-3910
E: thom at pnba.org
W: www.pnba.org
B: www.northwestbooklovers.org
-------------
On Aug 27, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Robin Beerbower wrote:

> Hi Thom,
>
> I have been in touch with MaryKay Dahlgren and she gave me the
> charge of promoting the trade show to librarians, so whenever you
> are ready to publicize it, please send me all of the particulars.
> I'll do my best to get the word to everyone I can in Libraryland,
> not only in Oregon but Washington.  Please enclose the particulars
> of library membership and fees, and how many can attend.
>
> Thanks and I'm working on my descriptions of my sessions and
> getting a photo.
>
> Robin

Robin Beerbower
Fiction Selector