[Libs-Or] Fwd: [District Dispatch] OGR urges librarians to participate in project for Federal Depository Library Program

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 11:37:16 PDT 2010

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <jterry at alawash.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:38 AM
Subject: [District Dispatch] OGR urges librarians to participate in project
for Federal Depository Library Program
To: district at ala.org

FULL POST: http://bit.ly/aZ2Fjm
--
District Dispatch has posted a new item, 'OGR urges librarians to
participate
in project for Federal Depository Library Program'

ALA will be sharing information regarding the Federal Depository Library
Program modeling project that has been awarded to Ithaka S+R.  Please take
this
opportunity to make your voice heard on this important subject!
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5250

Below is the latest communication from Ithaka S+R:

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the Government Printing Office, Ithaka S+R is launching a
project
that will develop sustainable models for the Federal Depository Library
Program
in the 21st century. The Program plays a critical role in making federal
government information available to the American public, preserving it, and
providing services to help the public and specialized user communities to
make
effective use of government information. We’re currently reaching out to
libraries of all types – public, government, academic, and law libraries,
and
both participants and non-participants in the Program – to alert you of the
launch of this project. We hope that ALA members will choose to engage with
us
regularly during the project’s six-month duration, to ensure that your
experience and perspective is incorporated to the greatest extent possible.

Engaging the community – including non-participating libraries that may rely
on depository libraries in providing government information services to
their
constituents as well as members of the Program – is a priority for this
project. We will rely on the input of the library community in our efforts
model a FDLP that meets the needs of depository libraries as well as of the
broader library community and those they serve. Towards this end, we’ve just
launched a website – fdlpmodeling.net – to serve as a venue for community
engagement, providing updates on the status of the project, offering a
variety
of mechanisms for community input, and sharing drafts and interim
deliverables
for comment. We’d encourage you to visit the site, learn about the project,
and share your thoughts with us at this early stage. While you’re there,
please subscribe to our RSS feed or sign up for email updates so you can be
alerted of new posts. And of course, please share this information with any
colleagues or others who might be interested.

We hope to hear from you over the course of this project, either via
fdlpmodeling.net or directly by email.

Kind regards,

Roger Schonfeld & Ross Housewright
Ithaka S+R

You may view the latest post at
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5287

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates
are
posted.
Best regards,
Jacob Roberts