[Libs-Or] You're invited to the Pacific Northwest Chapter, MLA annual meeting!

Hope Leman hleman at samhealth.org
Wed Aug 24 13:31:50 PDT 2011

Hi, all. I am forwarding the message below from my fellow member of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association, Susan Barnes. I really do want to second her point that there are special rates for students. Not only is the PNC/MLA meeting a good place for library school students to meet medical librarians in general, it is a venue for students to meet health sciences librarians who work in the many academic institutions in the Pacific Northwest (e.g., OHSU, the University of Washington) for those of you who want to learn about academic librarianship in the life sciences. And it never hurts for those new to the profession to meet librarians who work in a variety of fields. Medical librarians work in hospital libraries, in corporate/special library settings such as for pharmaceutical companies, research institutes, and, as noted, institutions of higher education as well as veterinary libraries, as consultants and in non-traditional settings.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services
815 NW 9th Street
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 768-5712
hleman at samhealth.org
http://www.researchraven.com/
http://www.scangrants.com/

Here is Susan's message:

We’d love to have you join us for the 2011 annual meeting of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association, October 15-18, 2011.  We have special discount rates for students.

Choose from a great selection of classes on Saturday and Sunday:
--Clinical Applications of Evidence-Based Practice
--Behind Closed Doors:  Politics in the Library
--Valuing Your Library:  Needs Assessment, Program Development, Program Evaluation
--Meaningful Use of Health Information Technology:  Overview and Opportunities for Librarians
--Decision Support, Infobuttons and Beyond:  Deeply Integrating Library Services into New Information Systems and Clinician Workflows
--Managing Up, Down, and Across

Then, on Monday and Tuesday, network with your colleagues and learn from presentations such as these:
--Is 60 the New 40?  How the Baby Boomers (and Librarians) Can Help Save Health Care
--Geek Speak Meets Librarianese:  How to Communicate with IT Staff
--The Acme of Gadgets (are smart phones and tablets here to stay?)
--New Models of Innovation in Our New Healthcare Environment

In between, enjoy a welcome reception at the Idaho Historical Museum, and a banquet featuring a presentation about Boise and Idaho history.

It’s all happening in Boise, Idaho at the Grove Hotel, a 4-diamond hotel.  Register before September 30, 2011 to qualify for early bird rates.

Boise is easy to get to—it’s served by many major airlines and is conveniently located on Interstate 84—and the nightly room cost at the Grove Hotel is only $99 plus tax if you make your reservation by September 21, 2011.  Learn more about the meeting and Boise, and register, at our PNCMLA 2011 website:  http://pncmla.org/pncmla2011.

Susan J. Barnes
NN/LM Outreach Evaluation Resource Center
Health Sciences Library Box 357155
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

sjbarnes at u.washington.edu