[Libs-Or] welcome back to Answerland

Caleb Tucker-Raymond calebt at multcolib.org
Thu Dec 29 17:47:00 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an update on picking a new name for L-net. We finally
did it, and yes, surprise, it's our old name:

  Answerland

No name is perfect, but in the end, what is great about the name Answerland
is that it champions reference service. It emphasizes the tangible benefit
that patrons receive when they ask questions at the library.

It does not emphasize the library itself, though neither does the name
L-net. Instead, the library is the context in which people experience the
service: most patrons who visit the L-net website got there by clicking on
a link from their local library's site. If L-net can answer 35,000
questions a year with a name that means nothing to anyone, just imagine
what we can do with Answerland.

It will take some time to work up a new logo, a new website and new
marketing materials, so we'll keep calling it "L-net" until sometime next
summer.

This wasn't an easy decision to make, and we appreciate all of the feedback
you have given us recently. I especially appreciate all of the careful
planning and thought that the L-net naming team put into this process. To
read more about that process, see the L-net blog, *
http://www.oregonlibraries.net/staff/2011/12/29/welcome_back_answerland.*

With all the promise of a new year,

Caleb Tucker-Raymond

Statewide Reference Service Coordinator