[Libs-Or] FW: February News from TechSoup for Libraries

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Thu Feb 3 09:48:22 PST 2011

For those of you who are interested:

From: Stephanie from TechSoup for Libraries [mailto:techsoupforlibraries at techsoupglobal.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 4:16 PM
To: MaryKay Dahlgreen
Subject: February News from TechSoup for Libraries

[http://tsg.convio.net/images/tsl_web_copy.jpg]

Welcome to the February TechSoup for Libraries<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=EZRuEgT-2lU2UUEyw4uYgQ..> newsletter! This month we have a Library Spotlight, a TechSoup Product Spotlight, information about upcoming webinars, our hot blog topics, newsletters, and a short survey. You received this email because you participated in a webinar, contributed content, ordered products, or were interested in resources from TechSoup.

Library Spotlight: Jim Haprian, Cuyahoga County Public Library<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=Jhnp7GkYN6AfQprgKVVnGA..>

[http://tsg.convio.net/images/content/pagebuilder/11623.jpg]We caught up with Jim Haprian and found out about his new job at Cuyahoga County Public Library<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=Bo-tqRw2FmiaUi2WCaUhpA..>, where he's earned the title of IT director. A few years ago, we interviewed Jim <http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=soy804N7omgBNj-_dgShVA..> while he was at a smaller library in Ohio. In this spotlight he shares the implications of going from an IT staff of 5 to 21 members on his new team. Read Jim's perspectives in regards to wireless access and open source software, and find out how his library serves their community through career counseling and innovative services.

TechSoup Product Spotlight: FluidSurveys Pro<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=JStHInZWWSmXycFafP-oqg..>[fluid logo]<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=JStHInZWWSmXycFafP-oqg..><http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=JStHInZWWSmXycFafP-oqg..>

New at TechSoup: engage the community you serve and bring them into your discussions with FluidSurveys. FluidSurveys is a web-based application for creating online surveys and collecting and analyzing survey data. Through a cloud-based drag-and-drop interface, your staff and volunteers can create custom surveys and polls and embed them into websites and blogs or send them via email. Survey authors can then analyze the results and share them with others, either online or by exporting results as one of several available file types. The admin fee is $30 for the pro version, and there is also a free version of FluidSurveys available.

Using an online survey tool is great for technology training programs<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=0ouueMh_ATK9u6YGoEnStQ..>. You can conduct a needs assessment, do a staff competency check, and/or compile feedback from a workshop or other library event. Other tools available online include: SurveyMonkey<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=lxN_-87CHLWuL2iqUqjPYw..> and Zoomerang<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=zTfwhhjZwcISv1lRdOaZNA..>.

Through TechSoup's donation program<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=vJv0otobCnnVZB0MtQ_9QQ..>, you can save 80-96% on brand-new software donated by top companies, including Microsoft donated software<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=WvxscBOXO2x3-hgwBt17Zg..> and refurbished computers<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=z5b0_IwSBFnDNlfDnd2xqQ..>. Products are available to all public libraries that are listed in the IMLS database<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=AvKCDs4-h9i0RaP85U_6XQ..> and/or have a valid 501(c)(3) nonprofit status and to nonprofits with a 501(c)(3) designation.

Free TechSoup Webinars[TStalks-banner.gif]
Is It Time to Upgrade Your Phone System?<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=0Aaip6oe-JMGnPOHta7tNw..>

Thursday, February 3, 2011, 11:00 a.m. Pacific (Noon Mountain / 1pm Central / 2 pm Eastern)

[phone]Do you wonder whether your current phone system is best suited for your needs? With new technologies available, perhaps there is a system out there that is less expensive and more robust. With acronyms like VoIP, vPBX, UC, and POTS, it can be difficult to understand all the options. Matt Bauer, CEO of the green company BetterWorld Telecom, will discuss how to assess and evaluate what you have, provide options based on your organization's size and total cost of ownership, and let you know what you need to get set up (including what to do with your old phones!).

We will also tell you about the new BetterWorld Telecom donation<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=lPlagz3JQqYq-nsRy1uChQ..> through TechSoup, as well as GIPS PC Handset and Speaker Switch for VoIP<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=W81-HOsso2F5cJLm8JP7QA..>.
Designing and Delivering Technology Workshops<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=yFI7PKSiB92Hw1FKd3CmYw..>

Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 11:00 a.m. Pacific (Noon Mountain / 1pm Central / 2 pm Eastern)

Join us for this free webinar to find out how to make your training job easier, more fun, and an even better learning experience for your participants. Learn to use a lesson plan to organize your workshops and facilitate sharing with your co-workers and other organizations. Discover how identifying objectives and incorporating activities can help your classes run more smoothly while also providing better learning opportunities. TechSoup trainer Stephanie Gerding<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=QXELQEvKP-qD0SSr_kLIBA..> and Brenda Hough of Northeast Kansas Library System<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=Rj5ty3dgaYglDL80N0Sd1Q..> will share sources for training materials already available for your use. Whether you are new to technology training<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=XvW6QqKzrlz0VDw0yyOXMA..> or a seasoned expert, we'll have something new for you to use in your job.
Registering Your Organization<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=ob3UEOBRMGxNbjJZG9f1xg..>

Friday, February 18, 2011, 10:00 a.m. Pacific (11 Mountain / 12pm Central / 1 pm Eastern)

Are you ready to take the next step and register your organization with TechSoup? Join us for a short, informative webinar to learn how registering will help your organization receive donated software, hardware, and services and access a variety of helpful resources. You'll also learn about required documentation and see a demonstration of the registration process.This webinar is suited for staff at nonprofits and public libraries in the United States interested in learning more about the process for registering their organization with TechSoup.

Visit the webinar archives<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=miKw-2VB-J4xqmwKEIqrKg..> to watch past webinars.

Hot Blog Topics: training, ebooks, BTOP, & SEO
[http://tsg.convio.net/images/content/pagebuilder/11622.png]

Reading our blog<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=5EFQuHtzpYK4c3Rgp3mpyA..> this month has been inspiring, as there are so many great ideas and sharing from libraries and nonprofits around the country. If you have a technology topic you'd like to write about, let us know<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=7-V1a5UkGlCqHZoixHB4Zg..>, we'd love to have you share your experiences. Here are some highlights from hot topics over the last month:

  *   Want to learn about keeping children safe on the Internet<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=H53PeY5SGmLLAr8MZHOxVA..>? Great tips from Renelda Sells, librarian at the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=6XrDkHsYsdtL1OdHy7wl4w..>.
  *   Are you an accidental technology trainer? Find technology workshop lesson plans and examples<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=n-TUEmnATeZqlItqc9ggiQ..> and other informative posts<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=WOg3kgNHDwrRexYezeCrFg..>.
  *   Want to see some best practices of BTOP programs in action<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=lnOCLZxCTvFjqNc7AyuPjA..>?
  *   Jim Lynch lets us know which is greener e-readers or books<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=2AbuFa014mXWNe_jw0l-JA..>, and gives a great overview of options available.
  *   Want to know how to help people find your library website? We have a new Search Engine Optimization Series<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=16dKqnxvulg1cik1bTJSWA..> written by guest blogger Donna Feddern of Escondido Public Library<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=8E64JfqoOJbrJ19FP9oaag..>.

Get Your Newsletters!

There are lots of great ways to stay up to date on TechSoup news. In addition to the library newsletter you are reading, we you can also subscribe to the weekly By The Cup newsletter<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=gj9L77iT703GjOtUcbKsKA..> and receive an email full of new technology articles, links to discussions, and current resources and events. You can also subscribe to our bi-weekly New Product Alert<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=mqvt1KT-zK0SHhF_W6VmDw..> to keep up with the latest new donated and discounted technology products, content, and community happenings at TechSoup. You can also follow us on twitter: @TechSoup4Libs<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=_purqlebEAOd-t-leto_aw..> and @TechSoup<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=BpTvgX6kum7XgJbbwHIYEA..>.

Monthly Survey

[baby]This month, we'd like to learn what your library does to be a greener place. Please complete this very short survey<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=aK7oVYLicN32mTYzC0NMdw..>, and we'll enter your name in a monthly prize drawing. This month's winner, selected by Sarah's sweet daughter, is Doris Schattschneider from Moravian Open Door<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=OtX6IiXHinuH3CiIU-6kDg..>, a nonprofit in New York, NY. Thanks to Doris and others for sharing information about trainer skills<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=kMvSgcva_xU0KnlDsRZjyA..> and job descriptions!

We <3 learning about your technology experiences! Instead of sending us a Valentine, will you take a few minutes to share your technology stories with us<http://tsg.convio.net/site/R?i=njePpO2FIv42397mp24cfg..>, so we can help others learn from you? Don't forget that what might be "that's nothing" to you may be an "aha!" to someone else!

-TechSoup for Libraries
techsoupforlibraries at techsoup.org<mailto:techsoupforlibraries at techsoup.org>

TechSoup Global is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working towards the day when every nonprofit, library, and social benefit organization on the planet has the technology knowledge and resources they need to operate at their full potential.

TechSoup Global, 435 Brannan Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94107 Copyright (c) 2010 TechSoup Global. All rights reserved.