[Libs-Or] ACTION Fwd: [District Dispatch] PATRIOT Act advocacy urgently needed! Call House members, tell them to vote against HR 514

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:55:55 PST 2011

 PATRIOT Act advocacy urgently needed! Call House members, tell them to vote
against HR 514 <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5622>
February 08, 2011 ( No
Comments<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#comments>)

*URGENT ACTION **ALERT*<http://capwiz.com/ala/callalert/index.tt?alertid=26406556>
*:*

*Let your voice be heard in Congress on the PATRIOT Act vote taking place
this week!  *It’s time to remind Congress how vocal librarians can be when
the issues are important!

*MESSAGE TO MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES*
<http://capwiz.com/ala/callalert/index.tt?alertid=26406556>*:*

Do NOT vote for H.R. 514.  Seek improvements to expiring sections of USA
PATRIOT Act as in S. 290.

Tonight, the House of Representatives is expected to vote on Representative
Sensenbrenner’s bill H.R. 514 “to extend expiring provisions of the USA
PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform
and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 relating to access to business records,
individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers, and roving wiretaps until
December 8, 2011.”   This bill would merely extend the sunset date until the
end of this year and make no improvements to protect our civil liberties,
including the reader privacy rights.

The last time that this occurred, Congress promised that that these
provisions would be discussed and improvements would considered.

It is essential that we hold them to their word and insist a NO vote on H.R.
514 that would remove even the possibility of debate.
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5622

--

*Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District