[Libs-Or] "More" Book Repair at OLA Pre-Conference, 4/6/2011

Carolee Harrison carolee at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 15 13:48:40 PST 2011

The Library Preservation Round Table presents an OLA Pre-Conference
Workshop:

"More" Book Repair for Libraries, Intermediate Level, on Wednesday,
April 6, 2011
Salem Conference Center, Salem, OR

If you have experience mending books; if you perform book repair
operations in your library or train other menders, and are interested in
building your skills, this pre-conference class is for you.  This
workshop will offer an opportunity to practice techniques covered in
"Basic Book Repair" (page reattachment, hinge and spine repairs) and
will introduce some more challenging procedures, such as re-casing and
paper repair.

Participants are asked to bring books from their own libraries to work
on, particularly at least one thorny problem that has been sitting on
your desk waiting for TLC.  Since each person will have their own repair
jobs with potentially different needs to address, we'll have the
opportunity to pool our knowledge and solve problems together as we
work.  There will also be books available for you to practice on.
Please bring your own basic tools (ruler, x-acto knife, brush, bone
folder, scissors) and we'll provide the paper, cloth, adhesives, and
cutting surfaces.  Most of all, bring your questions and your skills!

Your instructors will be: Carolee Harrison, Conservation Technician, and
Kristen Kern, Fine and Performing Arts Librarian, from Portland State
University Library.  Inquiries about the pre-conference workshop may be
addressed to carolee at pdx.edu.

Space is limited and registration is now open via the OLA website.  For
more information on the 2011 OLA conference, including registration:
http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=120702&orgId=ola

Thanks for your attention,
Carolee

--
Carolee Harrison
Conservation, Portland State University Library
carolee at pdx.edu