[Libs-Or] The publishing racket and how it rips off librarianauthors

Shannon Van Kirk SVanKirk at bluecc.edu
Thu Feb 24 08:56:16 PST 2011

This is the micro version of the macro problem:  universities pay professors to do research and teaching, both of which result in publication in peer-reviewed journals and make up the entire content of these journals, especially the STMs.

In turn, the publishers sell subscriptions to these journals to the university libraries often for $20,000.00 (or more) for each title per year.  (Have you been "Elseviered" lately?)

The professors need to publish in these journals in order to achieve tenure; the libraries need to subscribe to the journals so the professors can keep up with the newly published research, and the publishers rake it in.

Tenure committees need to start recognizing that the world has changed and that these journal publishers are bleeding libraries of their ever-diminishing budgets.

Yes, I have had to pay for reprints of my own articles, so I am standing with you!

End of rant (and it's not even Friday yet).
--shannon

Shannon Van Kirk, Director
Blue Mountain Community College Library
Pendleton, OR 97801
Voice: (541) 278-5916
FAX: (541) 276-6119
<shannon.vankirk at bluecc.edu>

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.