[Libs-Or] Join the First Book Board!

Joanna Burgess burgessj at reed.edu
Sun Jan 9 19:38:12 PST 2011

Join the First Book Board!

First Book (www.firstbook.org) is a national non-profit organization
that gives new books to children from low-income families so that the
children can start their own home libraries. The Portland Advisory
Board has been active in the tri-counties since 1998, and has granted
over 40,000 new books to existing literacy organizations such as
LifeWorks NW, the Oregon Child Development Coalition, and the Native
American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest. Our Board is
comprised of volunteers from non-profit agencies, businesses,
libraries, and the community. We are currently recruiting new Board
members. The primary duties of the Board are to conduct fundraising
campaigns, identify potential recipient groups, and award book grants
every year, with a time commitment of 5-10 hours/month. If you are
interested, please visit www.firstbook.org/portlandor or email
portland_or at firstbook.org. We will hold an informational meeting on
Monday, January 17 at 7:30 at Cafe Pallino (3003 SE Division St,
97202). At that meeting, we can answer questions and tell you more
about First Book. We hope to see you there!

The First Book Portland, OR Advisory Board

Joanna Burgess
Digital Assets Librarian
Reed College Library