[Libs-Or] Henry E. Dosch exhibition opening: WEDNESDAY 1/26 at 5:30 PM

James Carmin jimc at multcolib.org
Tue Jan 25 13:31:21 PST 2011

Dear friends,

I hope you can join us at the Collins Gallery, 3rd Floor, Central
Library, *tomorrow
(Wednesday, January 26th) at 5:30-7:00* for the opening reception of the
latest exhibition that I've curated: *"Henry E. Dosch: The Record of an
Early Oregon Family."*

Henry Dosch (1841-1925) was an important Oregonian who moved to this country
from German in the 1860s, fought with John C. Fremont in the Civil War,
introduced walnuts into the state, and directed the exhibits at the Lewis &
Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland (1905), and the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific
Exposition in Seattle (1909), as well as Oregon exhibits in Osaka, Japan and
elsewhere.

During the last few years, a descendant of Henry Dosch has been giving the
John Wilson Special Collections papers related to this important Oregonian,
including photographs, documents, reports, publications, manuscripts,
original artwork, and more than 3,000 letters and postcards.

A very small portion of these are now on exhibit (until March 27, 2011) in
the Collins Gallery.  I hope you can join us tomorrow evening for a brief
talk by myself, scholar Jeffer Daykin, and donor James Driscoll, and for
some food & drink.

For more information: http://multcolib.org/events/collins/dosch.html

I look forward to seeing you soon.

   Jim

--
Jim Carmin
John Wilson Special Collections Librarian
jimc at multcolib.org
503.988.6287