[Libs-Or] Problems for Corvallis-Benton County Library With youth at entrance--coming soon to a library near you?

Rebecca Cohen storyweaver at newportlibrary.org
Tue Jun 7 15:49:21 PDT 2011

When the Newport City Council voted to ban smoking on the grounds of all City buildings (to the street) we were amazed, and relieved, to find that it curtailed the use of the front of the library as a place to hang out, both for young adults and adult transients.  Seems that smoking was a big part of the socializing that went on and when folks couldn't smoke they went somewhere else.  Who knew?

We still have plenty of young adults and adult transients using the library but they no longer party at the front doors, scaring small children and elderly women.  And, yes, we did post signs and do still have to monitor the smoking.

Rebecca Cohen
Supervising Librarian
Newport Public Library