[Libs-Or] INFORMATION Fwd: [District Dispatch] Coalition to host BTOP Summit March 28-29

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:33:09 PST 2011

 Coalition to host BTOP Summit March
28-29<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5731>
March 03, 2011 ( No
Comments<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5731#comments>)

As Congress holds oversight hearings of the Broadband Technology
Opportunities Program (BTOP), and the Obama Administration considers
additional measures to promote broadband to anchor institutions to fulfill
the National Broadband Plan, we need every voice in the conversation.

The Schools, Health and Libraries Broadband (SHLB) Coalition (of which the
American Library Association is a member) will host a national convening of
community anchor institutions and BTOP grantees to discuss and showcase
successful BTOP projects on March 28 and 29. Larry Strickling, Assistant
Secretary of Commerce, will keynote.

The SHLB BTOP Summit will:

   - bring voices from the field to Washington to educate policy-makers on
   BTOP early progress
   - showcase how BTOP projects are supporting digital opportunity and
   economic recovery through work in and with Community Anchor Institutions
   - discuss with policy-makers additional steps that can be taken to
   promote broadband to community anchor institutions, and
   - share best practices among leading grantees.

SHLB plans to demonstrate strong support for the BTOP program with
presenters including libraries, community colleges, K-12 schools, research
and education networks, municipalities and commercial companies.

“Approximately two dozen library organizations are grantees or grantee
partners in BTOP-funded projects – totaling more than $100 million in
grants,” said Larra Clark, director, OITP Program on Networks.

“I look forward to a strong library presence as part of the summit and to
raising awareness of how our nation’s state and local libraries are
leveraging these funds to meet ever-growing community demand for online
information and resources – including those that support employment,
education and e-government.”

There is no fee to participate, and registration is simple. Visit SHLB
online <http://shlbc.org/content/btop-summit> for an up-to-date agenda,
registration and hotel information.

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5731

--