[Libs-Or] ALA Pres' msg. re Harper Collins Issue

Shannon Van Kirk SVanKirk at bluecc.edu
Mon Mar 7 15:22:12 PST 2011

Message to the ALA Executive Board, Council, Division and Round Table
Leadership, Equitable Access to Electronic Content Task Force and OITP's
E-Book Subcommittee:

Recent developments in the e-book marketplace have underscored the
importance of a model for e-book purchasing and lending that reflects
the interests of all of the stakeholders: authors, publishers,
booksellers, libraries and, ultimately, the public.

At the recent Midwinter Meeting, my president's report identified the
names of the members of the Equitable Access to Electronic Content task
force, which was created in response to a Council resolution. The task
force, chaired by Linda Crowe and Michael Porter, will be meeting in
Washington next week for a working retreat that is being financially
supported by ALA. Among other groups, they will get assistance from
OITP's E-Book subcommittee.

I do not take your concerns about changes in the e-book pricing approach
lightly. However, due to the far-reaching and long-term effects, the
task force deserves time to gather information and examine the complex
issues involved in equitable access to electronic content, including
e-books. We will receive their report at the Annual Conference and I
look forward to our using it, as an association, to formulate actions
that will ensure we have 21st century libraries to meet the needs of our
users.

Meanwhile, please feel free to continue communicating your viewpoints to
publishers and e-book distributors.
Thank you for speaking up.

Roberta Stevens
ALA President

Sent by:

Shannon Van Kirk, Director

Blue Mountain Community College Library

Pendleton, OR 97801

Voice: (541) 278-5916

FAX: (541) 276-6119

<shannon.vankirk at bluecc.edu>

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This communication, including any attachment,
contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is
intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of
this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including
any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

Hosted by the Oregon State Library. The Library is not responsible for
content.
Questions related to message content should be directed to list owner(s)
or the sender of the message, by phone or email.
Technical questions? Call 503-378-8800.

--

Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District