[Libs-Or] Kudos to Isaac Gilman for setting an example of the librarian in publishing

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Fri Mar 25 08:25:45 PDT 2011

Hi, all. I came across the item below yesterday from Isaac Gilman, MLIS Scholarly Communications & Research Services Librarian Assistant Professor Pacific University on the discussion list of the medical librarians in the Pacific Northwest and just want to send along the message I sent back, given how interesting the work Isaac is doing is and what a significant development in the world of librarianship the concept of library as publisher is. (And I also take the opportunity to plug ResearchRaven, which I work on and which I will discuss in a talk called Repackage! Repurpose! Aggregate!: Leveraging Free Content to Create Free Web Services of Your Own I am giving at the OLA conference in a few weeks--I have never been to an OLA meeting and am really pumped about finally going to one!).

Now back to Issac's neat doings.

This is what I wrote--Isaac's message is below mine.

Hope

I just want to commend Isaac Gilman for setting an admirable example of the new role many librarians are now playing in the world of open access publishing. Some libraries are carving out role as hosts of open access journals. Here is an interesting article on that development:

The York Digital Journals Project: Strategies for Institutional Open Journal Systems Implementations

http://pi.library.yorku.ca/dspace/handle/10315/4517?show=full

Isaac is taking things to the next level by serving as the managing editor of the journal himself. Kudos to him and his institution for firmly situating libraries and librarians in the world of scholarly communications in the health sciences for the benefit of the health science community as a whole and in close cooperation with medical people.

I have entered the call for papers on ResearchRaven here

http://www.researchraven.com/call-for-papers-publication/2011/12/31/call-for-submissions-health-and-interprofessional-practice.aspx

and if any of you have similar calls for papers or meeting announcements, please feel to email me or to submit such announcements here

http://www.researchraven.com/submit-announcement.aspx

Way to go, Isaac, on your fascinating, pioneering endeavor.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services