[Libs-Or] Shameless plug for my talk at the upcoming OLA conference: Repackage! Repurpose! Aggregate!: Leveraging Free Content to Create Free Web

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Tue Mar 29 11:56:58 PDT 2011

Hi, all. Being utterly shameless at self-promotion, I would just like to point out that in a case of splendid timing, the state of Oregon has just launched an Open Data Web Site. It can be read about here:

http://informationweek.com/news/government/state-local/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=229400174

The site itself is here:

http://data.oregon.gov/

What a marvelous opportunity for Oregon library folks to create Oregon-specific tools like some of the non-Oregon-specific ones at data.gov:

http://www.data.gov/developers/showcase

I mention this because the talk I am giving at the OLA Annual conference is all about harnessing such data troves to create Web services and applications. Here is the abstract about my session.

Time: 4/7/2011, 4:00:00 PM

Title: Repackage! Repurpose! Aggregate!: Leveraging Free Content to Create Free Web

Services of Your Own

Description: Ready to make the most of the coming data deluge as the federal government prepares to release data from across the scientific and public policy spectrum? Make your library a trendsetter in the development of free online services and see them adopted by libraries worldwide. Learn from the developer of ScanGrants and ResearchRaven how you can become your own startup and take back for libraries some of the space that Silicon Valley has captured in recent years. Lets geek together and learn how easy it is to make cool services that serve the public and advance learning, scholarship and science.

Speakers: Hope Leman

And in my abstract, I mentioned only the federal government, not even realizing at that point that we would soon have Oregon-level data to work with.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services