[Libs-Or] letters to the children of Troy, Michigan, 1971

Caleb Tucker-Raymond calebt at multcolib.org
Thu May 12 14:12:01 PDT 2011

Hi, everybody,

I saw today on Aaron Schmidt's blog, Walking Paper
(http://www.walkingpaper.org/4068), that the the Troy, Michigan,
public library has published 97 letters they received from prominent
citizens to the children of the city in celebration of the opening of
their new library, in 1971.

There are lots of great letters here, but I was excited to see that
Oregon Governor Tom McCall was one of the people that wrote to the
children:

  Books are essential in the life and development of the child. They
are a stimulus to
  his intelligence and imagination, an incentive to independent
thinking and a source
  of information and enjoyment. It is in childhood that the use and
enjoyment of books
  should be learned.

Read the whole letter:
http://troylibrary.info/sites/troylibrary.chillco.com/files/Tom_McCall.pdf